Why do companies come out with cheaper models of thier product and put a different name on it? Why not just sell your main brand cheaper?

Update:

Appliance companies do this all the time. Tire companies too. Goodyear has off brands. Whirlpool has off brands. Etc

Update 2:

So like I said why not just sell the main brand at a cheaper cost

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Goerge
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

That's the worm wiggling on the hook that grabs your attention. Not everyone can afford the top end products so companies have their "draws" or less expensive items that draw you in and then they have their star attraction available too if you can afford it.

• Goerge
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Do I want to buy a Roper every couple of years or one high end Whirlpool that costs 3 times as much but lasts 10 times longer? Sometimes my financial adviser(his name is Wallet) does make my decision for me.  

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

People might be willing to pay $30k for a toyota. But not as many are willing to pay $80k for a toyota. Enter, Lexus. All about perception.

• Roger4 weeks agoReport

Than sell a 30k lexus

• It is to create products for different audience. Selling the main brand cheaper means to affect the branding of the company image on the whole and will affect the reputation in the long run

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

They sell the expensive line to people who are willing to pay the extra money and the others to people who don't want to pay so much.  Maximizing revenue.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Marketing, hitting multiple price points increases market share.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The idea is to maximize profit. Someone may not need all the bells and whistles of the "main brand". Hence the Ford F150, 250, 350 . . . . 

• 2 months ago

Because the point of it all is to make money.  If somebody is willing to pay more for your brand name, why wouldn't you let them?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.