Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Atheists what do you think of Babe Ruth’s inspirational actions towards the end of his life?

Babe Ruth is commonly known as the greatest baseball player of all time but most don’t know the story around his Christianity and the end of his life

Ruth wrote a long letter to the youth of the United States asked to be published at his death (even though many papers did not publish it). Ruth described his faith journey and how his religion guided him throughout his life. Ruth was orphaned as a kid but he was raised in a Catholic orphanage (and he credited a Catholic priest with teaching him how to hit a baseball)

(Part of Ruth’s letter) In December, 1946 I was in French Hospital, New York, facing a serious operation. Paul Carey, one of my oldest and closest friends, was by my bed one night.

"They're going to operate in the morning, Babe," Paul said. "Don't you think you ought to put your house in order?"

I didn't dodge the long, challenging look in his eyes. I knew what he meant. For the first time I realized that death might strike me out. I nodded, and Paul got up, called in a Catholic priest, and I made a full confession.

"I'll return in the morning and give you Holy Communion," the chaplain said," But you don't have to fast."

"I'll fast," I said. I didn't have even a drop of water.

As I lay in bed that evening I thought to myself what a comforting feeling to be free from fear and worries. I now could simply turn them over to God.”

The true story of Babe Ruth, God, and repentance

http://www.catholiceducationfoundation.com/baberut...

• Doug

Babe was obviously much smarter than he looked.

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org
  • Tommy

Not a baseball fan so I don't look to any sports figures for inspiration.

Ruth passed away 9 years before my birth, and a ball player, no matter how good he was at *playing*, is not exactly a overwhelming spiritual guide.

And quite frankly, not drinking water in order to have communion is not an inspirational event. I once went one week without eating and drinking because I was hooked up to IV lines after surgery; is that "inspirational" to you?

Good for Babe Ruth. That doesn't make God real.

Like I give ashit. Does this prove a god exists? Didn't think so.

SO? It is meaningless.

What I think is: Why do I care about Babe Ruth? Am I supposed to be devastated? Inspired? He was a glutton & abuser in the prime of life, wrecking innocent people. He became Christian when his own mortality was realized? Narcissist same 'ol same 'ol. People convert in & out of Christianity every day.

*** The day Babe Ruth converted, someone LEFT. *** :)

I don't care about modern sports and I don't see why I should care about the personal religious beliefs of some sports figure who was long dead before I was ever born.

• Cogito

I don't know who this person was as I'm British, know nothing about baseball and I don't find any of that 'inspirational'.

It was up to him what he believed and said.

It means nothing to me.  I'm still an atheist.

Honestly, I don't find them inspirational at all.

One man being convinced without proof is not proof that your god is real. Had Babe Ruth been in a different culture, he probably would have converted to a whole other faith instead.