How do you stop a relative from ALWAYS trying to save your soul? It s a matter of etiquette, not religion: I think she s being rude.?

I m sick and tired of telling her that I m atheist. I feel that she doesn t respect my right to have my own values and opinions.

• Davros
    Favorite Answer

Some can't believe, no matter how much evidence points to the contrary, that someone non-religious might be living a happy and fulfilled life.

It's drilled into them their whole lives that God is the source of all love and goodness in the world.That there is only coldness and loneliness without him. So they look at any atheist and think "Oh those poor souls, they must be so depressed and unhappy. They desperately need the light of Christ lit within them!"

If your relative can't respect your difference in views, then unfortunately they'll probably never stop the attempts at conversion. They think they're doing you a favour, and that their persistence is a testament to their faith, rather than the annoyance and harassment it actually causes. Anyone's patience can wear thin in the end.

You can try to explain it again, maybe take the conversation deeper than usual. At least try to communicate that you are comfortable and confident in the views you have adopted. Maybe this time they'll get it. Make sure they understand they are being disrespectful, and if needs be make clear that you will have to reduce your contact with them if they persist with their poor behaviour.

Another option is to scare them off by getting an upside down cross necklace or somesuch. Make them think you've turned satanist and they usually scarper like rats!

You probably don't want to burn your bridges with a nuclear option like that, but it would be rather satisfying!

The only other option is to play ball and "convert" for appearances sake. I don't recommend that as it means condemning yourself to living a lie around this person, but depending on your social circumstances it may be a prudent move, at least in the short term. Especially if the relative in question is a hand that feeds you.

• Tommy

Put things in perspective and try explaining things in a way they may understand. Just saying you are an atheist gives them more reason to try to save you. It's what they are taught. Just politely thank them for their concern and say my beliefs are different from yours. If I abandon what I believe and follow you blindly to your belief, I put myself at risk and do nothing to elevate your belief. I walk the path I am meant to walk. I do not have a need to convince you to follow my way because your path is yours to choose. Please show the same respect.

JUST LET HER KNOW THAT U HAVE HEARD WHAT SHE HAS SAID AND REALIZE SHE CARES ABOUT U AND THAT U NEED TIME TO DIGEST IT AND WILL GET BACK TO HER IN YOUR OWN TIME.

Your relative loves you so much that she will jeopardize anything to bring you to Christ, because without Christ you will never see Heaven.  Even Christ said, "What does it benefit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?"  What happens on this earth is a tiny matter compared to the eternal hereafter.  She knows this and it breaks her heart to see you in your condition.

Her religious values and opinions concerning you are because she loves and cares about you. It's not a matter of being rude or ramming religion down your throat. She probably understands and respects your free will right to believe whatever you want. It's just that she is concerned about you and wants the best for you.

• Retief

Stop telling her, obviously she sees that as a challenge.

If she asks, tell her you respect her beliefs and you expect her to respect yours.

• Kira

To soften a criticism say something nice first and then start with BUT.....

In your case you could tell her " I know you want the best for me BUT  I will have to walk away if you are starting to talk about religion again.

Use your own words of course this is just a sample.

• Bryce

Show her articles in Wikipedia that say the creation story in the Bible, the Genesis flood narrative, and the Exodus story--the foundational stories of the Abrahamic religions--are all false (myths/lies).  Since nothing Jesus said or did can be verified, that also should be regarded as false.

• Jeancommunicates

Everything Jesus said and did has been verified by 12 plus witnesses.  There is more truth written about Jesus Christ than Shakespeare or any other man who ever lived.  More has been written about Christ than anyone you know.

• Cogito

Do you have to keep telling her that you're an atheist?

Why not just keep quiet?  Challenging her by asserting your atheism isn't helping, is it?

Just agree with her, whatever she says and try to keep away from her as much as possible.

Have nothing to do with her.

Seeing everyone as already having been saved from creation will let her see herself that way and stop needing to sacrifice herself. And you like her, are sick (and tired, too) because you don't forgive.