Goerge
Goerge asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Who picks up after the seeing eye dogs?

The handler does.

The dogs are trained to "go" on command tho and kept on a schedule..  So one could reasonably have their dog "go" in the morning before they leave home.. And the dog should not need to poop while they are out then

• Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

BTW- the TD was not from me because you were almost right........LOL

Seeing eye dogs usually have a guide harness on. So its possible for the handler to know where the dog has gone #2 when given the command based on how the harness is slanted...Guide dogs when they are letting the handler know their are stairs going up, the dog puts its two front feet on the first step causing the harness to be uplifted in the front and slanted downward in the back letting the handler know their are stairs which then would cue the handler to slide their foot upward to find the first step. It might be the same for dogs doing their business. If the handler gives the potty command and the handler feels the harness shift into the "#2" position they may be able to find it on their own...When you lose one of your senses your others get better to take its place.

https://blindlowvision.org.nz/guide-dogs/our-puppi...

It is possible to make sure a dog empties before it goes out off it's property.   Plus not all blind people are totally sightless so could pick up if the dog has an unexpected mistake.

Apparently you haven't done any research on this. I googled your question & it says the blind person picks up their own dogs poop. For more information google your question.

• Goerge
      1 month agoReport

Isn't this question part of my research? They should just shut this place down because Google knows it all. Of course I can Google it but I'd rather ask people. It's these simple questions that really grind your gears huh? Which questions can I ask Google that it doesn't know? 

What makes you think the dogs cannot be trained to eliminate on command - at HOME?

All my dogs were trained from puppy-hood, to GO on command. You can get fancy and use a different word for number 1 & #2 - if you wish, but basically you teach them to GO, when the word is said - through praise and/or a reward system.

You associate whatever word or phrase you want - when they are GOING, praise for the action (duh!) and voila, most can and will "GO" when told. Obviously; any blind person has heightened sense - so they can smell & hear when the dog eliminates.

My dogs are TOLD to eliminate before leaving home or going on walks. Since i go out with them - to be sure they did I KNOW what did or did not happen. I suspect (with practice at home) some blind persons may be able to pick up poop with a baggie or two - just like seeing persons - or ask for help directing their bagged hand -to the left, right etc.

Civically minded good Samaritans who carry around doggy bags.

The person who is using the dog does. That is taught during the training and acclimation period. At this time we get the dogs used to having their back rubbed by petting as they pee or poop. When the dog is older and working as a guide dog, the dogs blind handler can say “get busy” and rub the dogs back (the back arches differently whether the dog pees or poops) and then within an inch there's the dog poop.Guide dogs take up to 14 months to train. With user training at between 3-9 months.

Note- Figured people might be curious about the cost. A LICENSED trainer of seeing eye dogs is paid by insurance companies, the state or the federal government. Which if you include "puppy training" will cost upwards of $50,000.

The blind person does.

It's something they learn while training with the dog. They feel down the dog's back, to their butt, and then have a good idea of where the poo landed.

• Josh1 month agoReport

BS

The owner most likely - however they're not legally obliged to do so. It's a perk of being blind.

• Nekkid Truth!
      1 month agoReport

They actually ARE obligated to clean up after their dog.   Part of qualifying for a service dog is having the ability to provide proper care..  Including cleaning up after the dog.

I asked this weeks ago,  how do blind find the poo. Majority of answers suggested they feel around for it - based on the position of the dogs behind. I think that is BS, I think most go at home in the back yard, with a carer around to pick up. For the 4 imbeciles who voted down - the intricacies and accuracy behind successfully picking up an animals poop (with changing diets) are beyond reaching behind it “like you were taught in blind school”.