Don't you hate it when relatives who don't care 'bout you during the year call you for the holiday season?

Only a Michigan aunt shows true loyalty coz she's coming to spend Christmas with my younger brother, mom and me. The rest, calling from Nevada, California and even some in Oklahoma are a bunch of hypocrites! 

Favorite Answer

I don't see why you're calling people hypocrites. So, have you contacted your aunt during this year? Or is it up to her to contact you? Same goes for the rest of your relatives. It works both ways.

And people have busy lives, and separate lives from each other. it doesn't mean they do not care.

An example in my life is, i have a cousin who i have always been close with. She and i have lived two thousand miles apart for over a decade. I might hear from her once or twice a year, and I contact her once or twice. There have been years we didn't get the chance to communicate.

She's not a hypocrite.... she has a life, grandkids she sits for, a husband and also a part time job. I have a similar lifestyle, and there isn't much time for me to keep in touch with people. Those i keep in touch with very often are my own kids, and grandkids. It's just the way it is for most of us out here

If you're so concerned about keeping in touch, you could make the initiative to do so at other times of the year. I'm not sure why you're so upset about this, to be honest.

You'll see how it goes with your life when you're an adult who has a family and career of your own.

The holidays are a time for reconnecting as well.

my family is jewish so i never get calls like that

• Kelly

How often do you contact them?  Contact works both ways.

Life gets busy especially if you have a family of your own, a career and well everything in between.  I have 9 nieces and nephews between my husband and I (5 are mine, 4 are his) and we make time for them however, we also have 6 kids of our own, we do foster care so there's an extra 1-2 kids at any given time, and well we both have careers and things we do as individuals.  In short, we are busy people.

• Jerry

I think it's important and appropriate for relatives to contact each other regularly and end of year phone calls seems like a sensible way to do that. What expectation is it you have of these people that they are failing to meet? To travel from NV, CA, OK to visit you? Hey, the road goes both ways. Do you go visit them? 

• Murzy

Better late than never.

• Lili

Calling to greet people for the holidays is not "hypocrisy". It's a custom many families observe, even when they don't communicate much the rest of the year.

And what is this "loyalty" thing?  Do you think you're so special that people you don't see for most of the year must be "loyal" to you, as though you're some sort of little king?  Travel is expensive; it takes time, money, and effort that isn't always possible to expend. People work and can't always take time off.  Are you totally unaware of that?

You seem quite self-centered. Let's hope you grow up and become more realistic about other people's lives.