Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

What would you do if your child’s school called CPS because?

Your 15 year old daughter was telling friends at school she likes to feel orgasms and talking about sex at school, so they called CPS. The CPS workers ask your teen if anything is going on at home and she insists repeatedly she is not being abused or neglected. Then the CPS workers state the reason for the call and your teen tells them an orgasm is what motivates us to reproduce and CPS scolds her “sex is for adults! Reproduction is for adults! These conversations are for adults. You are a child. Your job right now is to go to school. I'm gonna be monitoring you for the next 60 days and if your behavior doesn't change, were going to have problems.” They insist you install parental controls and tell your daughter they want her to think about something positive. Their definition of positive is what she wants to be in the future. In subsequent visits they asked her if she thought about what she wants to be in the future. Each visit they ask your teen what she wants to be in the future. They also ask if you installed parental controls and continue to insist you do. They tell you to call the school counselor every week to ask how your daughter is doing in school. On the next visit they ask you how is she doing in school.

The government can't tell me whether or not I can stick a penis inside me, no matter how old I am. 

• sian

I'd do what they say and question my daughter as to what she's been listening to!

You have quite an imagination

Trolling trolling

• helene

Why do you write bad movies in your head and then present them here as "questions?"

High school girls talking about sex. Yeah, CPS would sure be all over that. Maybe the governor should bring in the National Guard.

I'd think I had failed as a parent if my daughter was having sex at 15, and would find a therapist to work with her.  I would also track down whoever was having sex with her and press charges.

I don't think CPS would waste their time on that, there are to many children who really are being abused.

I find it very fishy that CPS would take time to even answer such a call. Schools are mandatory reporters for abuse & if they called every time a 15yr old talks about having sex CPS would not get any real work done. They are busy enough already.

All of your claims are fiction because this would not happen. Those who work for CPS call themselves social workers, not CPS as you describe. They also wouldn't scold in such a way saying "sex is for adults." A social worker's job is to question a child and find out what happened. Discussing sex would not call for such a conversation.

A social worker would not say "I'm going to monitor you for 60 days". They do not have time for that. They do not go to schools and monitor anyone. Social workers are assigned families, not a single person. They make visits to a home, not a school. Neither would they tell a parent to monitor their child.

As I said your "story" is fiction.

• sparrow
      1 month agoReport

If someone makes a complaint, CPS is obligated to check it out. There's no shortage of social workers who aren't very intelligent. They didn't say they are assigned to a single person, but they would indeed center their investigation on a particular person, while working with other family .

This sounds a bit far-fetched. The job of CPS is to ensure children aren't being abused or neglected. Outside of that, they do not force parents to raise their children by any particular method.

Hypersexual behavior is indeed cause for concern, and is usually an indicator of sexual abuse or some other serious issue. This is clearly what the school and CPS was keying in on, and they're right to be concerned. Rather than clutching your pearls because somebody alerted the authorities to your daughter's at-risk behavior, perhaps you should get on board and be more proactive in your daughter's wellbeing.

Something is not right. It is obvious enough to draw the attention of near-strangers, and it is concerning enough that a government agency has gotten involved. I'm sorry that this has caused you frustration or embarrassment, but you and CPS are on the same team: making sure your daughter is safe and healthy.

• y

You really don't have much of a choice. You can scream and yell, make a scene, whatever. CPS ia stll going to go through their motions. I'm guessing if they now have the parents communicating with the school counselor every week. There is more to this then the story is telling us. Either that, or the parents are in denial about something. CPS is chronically short staffed and overworked, unless there is something they see. They really don't want to waste the time playing games.