Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Why do sailors have their own language? ?

My roommate told me it was my turn to clean the "head".   He keeps calling the garage the "barn".  And wtf is the "gig line".

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Centuries of tradition is behind some of the language. please tell me you can have at least some respect for that.

On old sailing ships, the "bathroom" were seats that hung over the bow (front) of the ship. This was two-fold. One, the smells would be blown away from the ship. Second, crap that might splash up on the bow of the ship would get washed away by wave action. The bow of the ship was also where the "maidenhead" of the ship was, i.e. the head. Thus the term, "I'm going to the Head."

In the military, not just the Navy, the gig-line is the line of your button-down shirt edge and your pants edge line up. It's how one properly wears ones uniform.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

every large Military Organisation has new words to suit its Job

Source(s): I know we in the RAF did
  • John H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

EVERY military service, and most industries use their own jargon. Get used to it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Don't feed the Troll.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Same reason women have their own language

• 1 month ago

Like many other careers, disciplines, trades etc; Naval / nautical occupations have their own terminology. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Gig line is the alignment of your buttons on your blouse, your belt and your fly seem.

• 1 month ago

I don't know how it goes up more

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.