RockIt
Lv 7
RockIt asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Is the fundamental principle of Liberalism, someone else, gov't, rich people, tax payers, corporations, etc. owe me free stuff?

Update:

I've been reviewing their platforms, their speeches, their demands, it comes through almost all their positions.  

Someone owes me Something for Nothing.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Overly-simplified, yes. They, especially Progressives put a lot more trust in government to solve or at least to manage societal problems, than on Individualism and the free-market.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty, consent of the governed and equality before the law. Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support limited government, individual rights (including civil rights and human rights), capitalism (free markets), democracy, secularism, gender equality, racial equality, internationalism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press and freedom of religion.

Source(s): 5 second Google search
  • 2 months ago

No.  And full disclosure, I don't really consider myself a "liberal" but that seems to be the label you earn when you support issues and ideas that have the most benefit for the most people over the long term as opposed to those that benefit a few people over the short term.

In that regard I feel like I should be called a conservative.  

The whole "free stuff" argument is lazy and disingenuous imo.  I could just as easily say that conservatives who don't want to pay taxes or for health insurance just want stuff for free.  Trump campaigned on free walls and tax cuts that pay for themselves.  FREE STUFF.

For example, I think welfare is a good long term investment.  I would receive none of it directly, but vicariously the countries economy benefits when people have funds to purchase and sustain local business.  

That's not wanting free stuff, it's just wanting stuff that works.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No. It’s more of your country loves you.

• RockIt
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

No it not about love

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dan
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

No, that's the fundamental principle of being one of Trump's children.

• 2 months ago

no it is not.............

• RockIt
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Then why is that all the platform is full of?  wealth transfers, free stuff, handouts, government control of healthcare, energy, etc.  Its not about freedom at all.  It about an activist state

• david
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No.  That is the uneducated views or maybe the propaganda slanted views of the conservatives.  Liberals know that taxes will pay for all of what you call 'free stuff' and we also know that because of tax structuring the rich cons will never pay for anything, the working class will actually pay for it all.

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You misunderstand, it isn't free stuff if one is entitled to it.

• RockIt
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

where does that entitlement come from?  the constitution? I don't think so.

• 2 months ago

No

Next stupid "question" please

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.