Didi Colley asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Change of color of fur?

Princess is a black and tan min pin. 

We adopted one another in 2014. The vet judged her age to be anywhere between 5 to 8 years old.

She has, over the years, developed a grey beard with some grey on her underbelly.

Just over a month ago her fur changed texture and colour. She is now a mottled black and yellow all over. Her texture is now thick fur, no longer short and smooth, as we know min pins to be. I did bath her and have brushed and combed her, to no avail.

She is eating normally, still gets the zoomies and is as loving and affectionate as always. No adverse aggression etc.

Any ideas??

She's getting her winter coat, she's also getting older and her body is changing.

The best person to ask is your vet, or you could take your chances on a Min Pin discussion board.  It is "possible" something hormonal is involved, and DIET can sometimes affect coat - although I have never seen it do more than affect the "tone" not the coat texture, or cause radical complete color changes.  I put my dogs on a certain national brand (initials NM) and had them go from a silver color to dirty taupe (& then back again) when I got them off.  Obviously just like horses, if a dog spends huge amounts of time in a cold climate they will grow more coat.

I used to have a minpin and I’d say it’s just age. 

She's getting old. That's it, nothing else.