When walking through the woods or the mountains where gray wolves live, what's the likelihood of getting eaten by one?

It's very rare, although not impossible to be attacked by a grey wolf!

Wolves contrary to what the media likes to tell you, are very shy/seclusive creatures and they fear humans. Wolves have a strong sense of smell/hearing, if a human were to walk through the woods/mountains, the wolf(s) would retreat further back, avoiding any contact with a human.

However, keep in mind wolves are wild animals and if they feel they are under threat, they will defend themselves/their pack. In most (rare cases of attack) it's because either a human has gotten too close to the pup(s), or the human has gotten in between the wolf and their food source.

I have spent the majority of my summers up at my grandparents cottage and my Dad's (who lives next to their old cottage), there are tons of wolves around (mostly timber), and there has only been one reported human fatality due to a human vs wolf encounter. The wolves at my Dad's are far back in the bush, I have never seen one walking around, they like to stay deep in the bush where the deer are, and where they won't spot a human. Only time the wolves come close is the winter, when the deer come out of the bush/onto the lake looking for scraps, that's when the wolves are sighted. 

If you see a wolf in the wild,the key is to understand that they aren't looking at you for a meal or looking for a fight either, they are like you/I, merely trying to survive in this world. The biggest thing is if you see one, to step back and don't approach, most times a wolf is looking for food and/or escaping being attacked from other bigger animals, give it distance and it won't approach. If you lock eyes with one, its key to not run and not look it in the eye, you want to make yourself bigger, and make as much noise as possible which either scares off the wolf or attracts human attention.

You have nothing to fear from a wolf, the animal you want to fear is a moose! Moose are far more aggressive, dangerous than a wolf! They aren't scared of humans, and they are aggressive in encounters, they won't run from you BUT they will run at you. That's the animal you need to be on guard about walking through forested land, espically in the summer months.

• JimZ

You probably have a better chance of winning the lottery.  A wolf is a predator and there is a small chance that a young or hurt and hungry wolf will see you as prey but there are far bigger dangers out there.  Bears, mountain lions, snakes, dogs, people are all bigger dangers.  Just getting lost is a bigger danger.  If you see a wolf, count yourself as extremely lucky.   They don't need to be feared.  The coyote on my avatar was circling me and seemed to be testing me and it is a pretty ornery coyote but I wasn't concerned and he wandered off.  They are all individuals and not predictable.  Wolves see humans as their gravest threat and they generally steer very clear of us.     

Zero, European wolves have a reputation of attacking in Russia, but nowhere else in the world do wolves prey on humans. Heck, even the scientists that are studying them have a hard time getting close enough to watch natural behavior.

-----------------------

List of wolf attacks in North America - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › List_of_wolf_attacks_in_North_America

There are a few documented and undocumented wolf attacks on humans in North America in comparison to Eurasia and other larger carnivores. There have been only two verified documented deaths from wild healthy wolves in North America.‎

• MARK

The chance is extremely low. Wolves will be aware of your presence without you probably knowing any are around. They will avoid you. Unless you accidentally come across a pack of wolves and they perceive you as a threat. In that circumstance they may attack but only if they feel they cannot escape.

Wild animals do not just attack for the hell of it unlike humans. You are not their natural prey. They would need to be starving for some reason for you to appear on the menu.

Anything is possible. So, carry some pepper spray and bring a stick to defend yourself and watch and listen to your surroundings when hiking. Even coyotes or wolf-coyote hybrids are known to attack human hikers.

14 times out of 7. I should know, I've been eaten by them 47 times.

Source(s): Got ate. Lots.

No one knows. Something keeps eating researchers.

Almost zero likelihood. Humans are not only NOT a grey wolf's natural prey, wolves are extremely wary of humans and unless they're literally starving to death, rabid, or protecting their young will almost never attack a human, whether they're solo or even in a pack.

• Iam

Wolves don't hunt alone. You would not be eaten by one wolf, but by a pack.

Take advice from the local ranger service and be safe.