Is it worth having an ultrasound scan and blood tests for my cat?

My vet picked up a heart murmur, but otherwise my vet said "he's fine otherwise". I am insured, but I just don't know what to do. She didn't seem to think it was essential, but simply said, "If you'd like to book him in, we'll do the USS and bloods". I just don't know what to do.

He's 9 years old by the way.

Also when I took him to the PDSA (about another issue), two vets who examined him through the stethoscope, didn't say anything about a murmur.

Favorite Answer

I would always get full bloodwork-but I would probably pass on the ultrasound--it is pricey and extremely stressful for the cat-and I swear some vets make that murmur thing up--I had a vet who swore my cat had a murmur and since he was losing weight she insinuated he was in heart failure--had the traumatizing scan done which showed absolutely NOTHING on the scan--no reason for any "murmur"--I don't go to that vet anymore.  Turned out he had a rumbly tummy--

• Ocimom

Mild heart murmurs are not something to be worried about - there are different degrees (higher the degree, worse the condition of the heart).  If your cat needs surgery then it may be best to do a pre-surgery testing to make sure the cat can handle the kind of surgery.

I would have it done because better safe than sorry and your insurance will cover it right? So no reason not to have it done. 

I think you're shopping for a vet that will treat a healthy kitty. Leave your kitty alone.

• Maxi

So your vet suggests tests and you are insured, I suggest you do as the vet suggests or go get another opinion

Let's be very, very blunt about this...

Listen to your vet, not Yahoo Answers.

• Kid Mohawk

No, I'm saying no one here is qualified to give you sound medical advice for your cat, but your vet is.  So you should ask your vet and do what they say to do.

Yes you should do it for the cat