Jasmine asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How to get dogs to get along? ?

So I’ve ask this question twice of this website but I genuinely need more help and advice as this is beginning to stress me out.

So I’ll break everything down short so I don’t exceed the word limit.

-adopted beagle yesterday (11months. Female)

-old dog (9 year old silly terrier, male)

(Both dogs not neutered/spayed, but I’ll spay the female soon)

First encounter:

-neutral ground

-on a walk, both on leash, with different individual walking each dog

-old dog starts lunging and barking at new dog

I continue the walk for another 20mins

Bringing them home:

-new dog enters first but starts lunging and barking at new dog when she steps foot in

The old dog is fine when the new dog is in it’s cage.

So today I let them both out in my frontyard with my beagle on a leash close to my side and my terrier roaming around sniffing her belongings. He came up to sniff the beagle several times with no aggression and even took a nap close to her, with me in the middle separating them but got into a fight when I got up. My terrier lunged and bit the beagle and she was yelping. I broke it up with verbal commands and hand gestures (which is something I do whenever my dog shows aggression) but I can’t leave both of them out on their own with no supervision and this will become a problem as I have work a few times a week. What can I do to help them get along better? When can they be left alone without hurting each other? How can I lower the risk of fights. I genuinely need help/a solution. Thank you.

You're having problems because you went about it all the wrong way. First having them both entact together is a bad idea. "Soon" is NOT soon enough. This should have been done before.

You should have introduced them before accepting the new dog as it's obvious they don't get along and they may never. You may be stressed out but you have no one to blame but yourself. Your new dog needs to go back where you got it and learn from this mistakes. Your dogs could have got hurt.

The walk should have told you that they would not get along but you did not pay heed to what was happening. They will not get along. All of this is telling you, 'no, this will not work'.

you got two dominant personalities & neither wants to give in. Your dog may be dog on dog aggressive. How does the terrier act with other dogs?

• Jasmine1 month agoReport

Surprisingly they are starting to get along. The terrier stopped barking and attacking the beagle after only two days. I forgot to mention that he does well with every other dog and is very sociable. Also left out the part where the beagle is docile and submissive. 

So you got a new dog and knew you had instant issues, and did not (or are not) taking a week off, to work things out?  You thought you'd just SLAP a new dog of unknown background and training in your home and just toddle off to work?  Are you crazy?

Rome was not built in a day - as we ALL told you.  You have rushed this process.  

You will not be ABLE to go off and leave them loose (PERIOD) nor would I a puppy - and I would not with a new adult dog - who may have (also) indoor accidents or submissive urination.  

Your silky terrier may be having resource guarding issues and this means - if you are seeing this, or cannot handle it, you need a professional.  So call up your vet and get plugged in with a professional dog trainer or an animal behaviorist for your issues, OR return the new dog and DO NOT plan to adopt again, while you have the terrier.  But stop having a melt down.

You do not say how much formal OBEDIENCE training the terrier ever got, but he does not sound, well trained.  Verbal correction ought to work, if he was well trained  You also need to get a water squirt bottle or water gun - you cannot stop dog fights by "waving your hands" and you may need a broom to back him off (not HIT him with)!  Reaching into a dog -fight may get YOU bitten.

• Jasmine1 month agoReport

I forgot to mention that my terrier is highly sociable and does well with every other dog. I’ve figured out that he has guarding issues towards me and he has absolutely no issue with the beagle when I’m not in the room. I’m not having a meltdown, just worried & asking for help. Thank you

• Jojo

So....you only got the new dog YESTERDAY. I also answered your question yesterday and you got lots of other good advice. Rome was not built in a day and you really do need to give this situation a lot more time. 

However.....there is still the possibility that your terrier will never accept the Beagle and if there is no improvement within the next couple of weeks, you may have to consider re-homing the new dog. 

Also you should crate the Beagle when you are at work, at least for now.

You could also try hiring a good experienced dog behaviourist to view the dogs in situ and see their body language first hand.

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.
    • Jasmine2 months agoReport

Thanks for answering again, I really need all the help I can get this is beginning to stress me out haha. But yea I’ll try walking them on leashes more and continue to train both of them. 

I did reply on one of your questions before and you had a lot of the experienced contributors answer as well,  but I am really suprised that your terrier is being this bad especially with a female and when you said he was good with dogs outside of the home and plays with other dogs when out. 

It's still early days however, but I think you need to possibly get someone to view this situation to read the terrier's body language. 

The reason I'd said about swapping leads with your mum was to see if the terrier is resource guarding the person he feels attached to in which case he would be better with one person than the other.  

What is he like if the two dogs are both away from humans and does he respond to vocal control if he starts. 

It will be a real shame if you can't get this to work as the Beagle sounds like a really nice placid dog 

• Jasmine2 months agoReport

Thank you so much for responding again. I spent the whole day supervising them and sitting on the ground training, communicating with them. I really want to make this work, I’ll try the leash method when me and my mum are both free, thanks again! 

our dogs sound like yours and i have one dad has one and my brother all in the same house and the terrier my dads will try to get my lab and the other mix of three and all we could do is get shock collars and it took doing like two times and i sware to you they knew what it meant and took it off in a week and had to just show it to them if there making trouble and i can't help it just to mess around with them and just do it for fun that little re-mote so their playing the sorry game dogs play.