Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Coil p ack won’t fit over spark plug. ?

So I just bought my 99 F-150 as my first vehicle back in July. It was starting to run a little rough so I decided to do spark plugs back in November of 2019. My truck is equipped with the 5.4 2V and the stories are true, those spark plugs are a pain in the butt to do. The 5.4 2V is also prone to spark plug ejection and that was one of my biggest fears when looking at these trucks. First thing I asked the guy was “who, when, and how much torque was applied if/when you replaced spark plugs?” Owner told me that he did them himself and he applied about 15-20 lb ft of torque on the plugs. Fast forward November, I’m doing spark plugs on a Saturday morning. Everything was going smoothly until I got to plug number 7. My handy spark plug removal tool wasn’t able to get a grip of the plug. Thought the hole was dirty so I blew out all the dirt. Still didn’t work. I tried a smaller socket and sure enough it worked and what do you know, it’s a completely different plug. The head has been rethreaded

at some point due to plug ejection. It has some special auto lite plug installed and I got a new one. Problem is, this plug is too tall and the coil pack won’t fit over it. Can I cut the coil to fit over it or is there another solution? If I had to do it over again, I would have checked those plugs when I bought the truck but I learned the hard way, the first time getting to them took me nearly 35 minutes and half the hoses and fuel railed removed. Truck is currently misfiring on 7. 

• Dan
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like you have some kind of specialty repair kit in that hole. If you manged to find the correct plug that fits and has the correct reach I really don't see a problem with cutting the boot a little shorter if you need to in order to get the coil pack bolted down. Something does sound fishy though and without seeing it myself all bets are off.

Hell NO! Use only certified Ford parts. Most mechanics will raise the truck & lower the motor. '65 & '66 Mustangs were famous for that. The best thing to do is to take it to a Ford Dealer & ask them to do it. And don't play mechanic anymore.

• Scott

Ah yes, the Ford triton V8 engine. An engineering failure.

Your terminology is a bit confusing.  Does the truck have coil on plug ignition, that is one coil for each plug?  Or does it use a coil pack/s with individual ignition wires going to each plug?

Coil on plug, former owner used a special coil to fit that plug.  Individual wire on plug, former owner used a special wire/cap for the plug.