daniel asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

If wisdom is gained through pain, how does one gain wisdom when no pain has been brought upon yet?

Through the experiences of others is a good answer but even then (at least for me) seeing other people experience that pain sometimes isn't enough for me to show humility, compassion, etc. 

I'm a 22 year old guy and I was raised pretty spoiled, not necessarily financially but my parents spoil me so much with love, attention, and compassion that I've grown used to always being a receiver and never a giver (in terms of affection, care, compassion, humility). I've seen people close to me lose people very close to them, I've seen how it tears them up inside. But even then I keep taking the people closest to me for granted. I'm afraid that one day when my time comes to experience that pain, it would be too late. Is going through this pain (any pain not just death) the only way to grow and gain wisdom? Or am I just being too selfish, spoiled, or self-centered to realize I can change that now? If so, why haven’t these experiences of others affected me emotionally to change? 

• j153e
    Favorite Answer

Pain may bring smart.

Wisdom is wise dominion, prospective awareness.

One way to increase your ability to love, to be compassionate, is to return some affection and gratitude to your parents.  If they love you, they'd love to hear from you more frequently.  If you live near them, you might visit them, talk with them about what plans they're DIYing for their home, and help them on a weekend.

Increasing your love heals your fear.

Learning to love includes romantic relationship:  "For Couples Only," Shaunti Feldhahn;

"Finding a Higher Love;"

"Chicken Soup for the Romantic Soul;"

"Love and Sexuality" by Aivanhov;

"Answers" by Mother Meera; https://www.mothermeera.com

IF wisdom is gained through pain. It's not. It's gained through observation and felt emotional events, some painful, some not at all.

Pain alone does not cause wisdom & like 

many thing's in life this is more of a spectrum 

than black vs white kind of thing anyhow :)

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

We are humans born to struggle and necessity is the mother of invention . Being cosseted give a life of pleasure and security but not wisdom your leader Trump is a classic example it leads to a ruling class of privilege like of old and the dreadful civil wars that is why wwe have a saying ."learn from history or repeat it but as you say you cant see the pain so we repeat it , it's what we do the cream may rise to the top but they are unique and the offspring do not inherit that just the power they gained ,