Maya asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My MIL is obsessed to go with us on every vacation, how to deal with this situation?

I want to him to be happy and I feel sorry for her because father-in-law passed away years ago.. However, it is just too much to go travel with her. Like a year, we went to 7,8 mini and big trips with her. It has been like this for several years. One day, he asked her to watch our boy so we could go to San Francisco for 3 days. She wasn't happy because he didn't take her along so she refused to watch the boy...Anyway, no big deal.

It looks like she always want to go with us on every trip. She seems jealous if we go alone by ourselves or just our family. Recently three of us went to see Frozen 2 (me, husband and our boy) and she knew we went without her, her face really showed upset. Something is very odd?

I never ask her to babysit my child at all, the fact is my husband once awhile asks her without me knowing to it does bother me sometimes. I prefer my parents watch the boy because they love to. 

• Foofa

She's obviously lonely so maybe instead of complaining you and your spouse could try to get her involved in clubs, classes, activities that take some of her focus off of what you're doing.

• Maya1 month agoReport

She has her sister, daughter and a lot of other grand kids. Why doesn't she go vacation with them is what I don't understand. I figure her daughter's family is broke and she doesn't want to pay for them. She can be with them but she choose not to due to she has to spend for them. 

shes just lonely and thats why she wants to go everywheres with you

• Maya1 month agoReport

She has a daughter too but she doesn't want to travel with her because her daughter is often broke.Happiness doesn't count on money, does it? It's like living in 1700 where mother in law wants to go everywhere with you. Odd. 

You want to use her as a free childminder then shut her out? Out of order. You're selfish, she is part of the family. If you don't want her in your family then stop using her for things! 

• Maya1 month agoReport

I never ask her to babysit my child. She's much more expensive than paying for the childcare giver who often provides us services all year round compare to her, not even one day in a year shh. I will talk to my husband cut her out. She needs to be on her own. 

• ?

There's nothing wrong in having a close family and including your MIL.

AND there's nothing wrong in setting up BOUNDARIES.

You are entitled to have strictly family time for you, your husband and your son.

Your husband needs to explain this to your mother. And she needs to accept it.

Just make sure to include her on some but not all your trips.

• Maya1 month agoReport

It's true that it's time to set up BOUNDARIES. I'm always let other people run the show probably is the reason why she feels like she's entitled to go with us. It's getting odd and strange.