Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Why are most Buddhists poor ? Is Buddhism a religion of beggars ?

Most Buddhist countries are so poor. And the main Buddhist people live on begging.

Is not Buddhism a religion of beggars, losers and hopeless people ? 

Is not living a Buddhist life is like living a sad life ?

Favorite Answer

Materialistic persons such as yourself would not understand.

• Emdog

Your basic premise is nuts, if you think about it: hmmm if they live by begging, and they are all beggars, what does the beggar have to give the other beggar? Japan and Korea are hardly poor, among others. Other countries were ruthlessly exploited by colonial masters & then taken over by native exploiting class.

You seem to equate material goods with happiness and lack of with sadness. I'm American, living in Buddhist country of Thailand. I'd say in general most Thais are happier than Americans.

I don't know much about Buddhism, but in movies, they are in compounds where they are self sufficient, meaning they grow there own food and everything else. You only need money if you want to live in a consumer, commercialized society that strives to makes slaves of people with consumer debt. I see people living off the grid and being self sufficient where the get to spend their life the way they want, not in debt to society.

I read a good book about happiness and part of it showed Buddhism was negative, hopeless in philosophy.   That was years ago. That book even suggested what they needed to do?

Their belief wasn't happy at all.

I just know they follow certain rules.

God's people,  David said didn't go without and beg.

You won't last a minute in their shoes. If only you would go through what they go through, you would understand the struggle.

• Dave D

Wow.  You actually believe that being poor or beggars actually make people losers and hopeless??!!  I am sorry, but in my book you have just described yourself as a hopeless loser.