Russell asked in SportsFantasy Sports · 2 months ago

What do you think of this scoring system?

I was trying to speak to commissioner of a league I've been apart of for years about changing the scoring. And even the playoff seeding. I've been with this league five years now, with moderate success. He actually got offended. And became emotional. I told him there is no way 3 tackles from a defensive player should be equal to a QB throwing throwing for 300 yds. It makes the QB almost non essential. There were some other things, too. I told him the seeding should go from 8 seeded playoff format to six. Needless to say, this may be my last year in this league. What do you all think of the scoring system?

Passing Yards 50 yards per point

Passing Touchdowns 4

Interceptions -2

Rushing Yards 20 yards per point

Rushing Touchdowns 6

Receptions 1

Receiving Yards 20 yards per point

Receiving Touchdowns 6

Return Touchdowns 6

2-Point Conversions 2

Fumbles Lost -2

Offensive Fumble Return TD 6

Kickers League Value

Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3

Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3

Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3

Field Goals 40-49 Yards 0

Field Goals 50+ Yards 5

Point After Attempt Made 1

Defensive Players 

Tackle Solo 1

Sack 3

Interception 3

Fumble Recovery 2

Defensive Touchdown 6

Safety 2

Extra Point Returned 2

With the exception of 4 pts per passing TD, he is using the original Yahoo default scoring system.   It isn't wrong, though.   There are leagues that are TD only, and this is kind of close to that.  You want guys who get into the end zone.  He did mess with it when he changed QB passing TDs from 4 to 6.  This is unfriendly QB scoring, but it still isn't wrong.  People just need to keep it in mind when they draft QBs.  Nobody should be taking one in the 1st half of a draft.

Same with playoff berths.  You didn't say how big the league is, but I'm currently playing in a 12 team league with 8 spots.

The bottom line is, I wouldn't pick the settings he has, but none of them are wrong in the sense they should be criticized.  If you don't like them, he's right - start your own.

0 points for a 40-49 yard FG?  I'll assume that was supposed to be 4.  It's a little TD heavy on the offense (most leagues are 10 yards rush/receive and 25 passing), so it would appear that defensive players, like LB that get 10 tackles per game are going to score better than anyone that doesn't score a TD.

Seems like you need to reduce the yardage points.

This scoring system is completely moronic.  It's as if a complete senile imbecile like Joe Biden designed it.

No points for a blocked kick?  I once won a league from a blocked kick. :-)

Nonetheless, the scoring seems fair.  Not my style, as I like leagues with a lot of opportunities for points.  As long as we all playing by the same rules it's fair, right?  I only look at the points setup in a league I'm considering getting in to decide how I should stack my team.  If QB's aren't set to get many points, then don't draft one that high. I always felt "standard" scoring leagues put too much emphasis on the RB position.  The league I'm in now is awful heavy on QB points, but luckily the commish is willing to adjust points from one season to the next in an effort to close that gap.  So don't worry much about how the points are set, just know them so you can use them to your advantage.  It's a sign to move on if the commish isn't willing to hear you out in an attempt to improve the league.