Eden asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Can someone please help me translate this i have a very well built sword that i bought 6 years ago with no brand name just this on the tang?

The characters in the picture are shown sideways.  By turning the paper 90 degrees clockwise the characters can be read downward.

The first two characters in Japanese (中村) amount to Nakamura.

The next two are more problematic, but if they are "な介" they sound like Nasuke.

None of that translates to any words in English, but they are both reasonable names for people in Japan.  I would guess it to be the swordmaker's name, family name first.

I don't know enough about Japanese sword making to do more than guess about what "0032" means.  Maybe the maker's 32nd sword?  Maybe the 32nd year of the Showa era (1957)? Maybe something about the content of the steel?  But none of those guesses are really consistent with the two leading zeros.

• Eden2 months agoReport

I have spent hours researching and nor even coming close to answer so thank you

• Lôn

Into which language??

It's meant to be Japanese or Chinese.