On Deep Space Nine, why did Odo never achieve a rank higher than constable?

In virtually every country where the title is used, it denotes the lowest ranked police officer and yet, he was chief of security.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Rank didn't exist in the security department.

Constable was a TITLE, not a rank.

• Login to reply the answers
  • danxp2
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

He was neither part of the Federation nor Cardassian security details. He was the outsider during the occupation and was part of the Bajoran security force in times of Federation control of Terok Nor/DS9.

Unless he moved to Bajor and played an administer role of Bajoran security for the planet/galaxy at large, I doubt there was room for his rank advancement in the Bajoran security force.If it wasn't to have alone time with Kira he was never really a reports person. He was always more of a front line guy. Watching and controlling Quark, and the other nefarious beings moving around the ship.He was not a fan of solids rules/regulations, and followed his own route to what he saw as justice. He basically gave the title to himself and given his wish to be on the front line, Constable was always fitting. It was more a nickname then it was a rank. He could have given himself any title, especially after the Commander Eddington fiasco. However, he would not relinquish control away from his internal justice to a set of external organized rules, as such he moved up no ranks and never really joined a group with ranks to move up. 

Also, when he was part of the Founders they don't really seem to have a ranked system of Founders. It was just Founders --> Vorta --> Jem Hadar --> All others. He did sort of advance to be a god, so that was something.

• 1 month ago

You do know it was fiction, and not real?  Characters were at the mercy of the script writers, the producers, and the director, and finally the editor.  They ruled.

One reason I can think of is he was not a human being, policing human beings.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Being a Founder, I don't think Odo was ever truly trusted and rightfully so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.