Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Shelter adoption application question?

I’m looking to adopt a dog from a shelter near me, but one of the questions on the application ask for vet information. What if this is my first pet and I don’t have a vet yet? What should I put down?

• Ocimom

Tell them you don't currently have a vet because this is your first dog.  But you may want to look for your closest one and let the adoption group know this will be your vet if you are approved.

Write 'not applicable' or 'not yet', or why would I have one if I don't yet have a pet!!!

Or just leave it blank and tell them why when you hand in the form.

ps  You could put the name/address of your local vet and write - this is who I intend to use.............?

N/A - not applicable and under pets list "none".

How are you this helpless? FYI it's ASKS not "ask".

• Anna
      1 month agoReport

It's the askers FIRST pet, no wonder he/she doesn't know what to put, they've never done it before.

Call the Vet Clinic you would take your pup/dog to for a wellness check. Now you have a Vet & an appointment for the initial exam. Take the dog by the Vets before you take it home. Unless you KNOW it has already been Vetted.

• Verulam
      1 month agoReport

That's a possibility although I'd concentrate on getting the pup/dog home first and then see your chosen vet 48 hours later, so you don't overload the pup with 'too much info.'  And even if the new dog comes with their health check, you still need to have your OWN vet check the pup/adult.

You put the information of the vet you intend to use.

• PR

Tell them you do not have a vet and the reason why. Then, determine what vet you would likely use and put that down. This may be from references from a friend, or ask the shelter for a suggestion or the vet they use.

the truth, that you dont have a vet yet

Let's see, if I had never owned a dog before and someone asked me the name of my Vet, what would I say?

I believe I'd say, "I have never owned a dog before, and I don't have a Vet."

You tell them this will be your first pet and you have not used one.  (Some shelters want a reference on you - from your vet - as to how reputable an owner you are.)  You can pick a vet out & say X is the one you've picked for your new dog.  (It is not a bad idea to interview or go inside some offices to see the lay-out), if not check ratings online or with BBB.

All i put was for them to suggest one and one of the pet charities wanted to paid the fee for me being disabled  with seizures and the dog could get training to so just ask to be re-fered.