Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Why do some people feel the need to weird up age old dishes?

Like enchiladas for example. You think you're getting enchiladas but end up with something thats closer to a mediterranean soup somebody spooned into an enchilada form. It's just evil.

• Jerry
    Favorite Answer

That you don't like this particular variation is about your own personal tastes. If other people liked those enchiladas, then obviously there were tasty and good to SOME people. 

But yeah, I know what you mean. My pet peeve is ordering a Caesar salad and getting some variation instead of a classic Caesar. If the dish Caesar salad with sliced tomato, Caesar salad with avocado, Caesar salad with mushrooms, Caesar salad with onions, then the menu should tell me what to expect. 

It can be fun and interesting to play with food ideas. I've always said I wanted to start a restaurant called The Elvis where everything is peanut butter and banana. From chicken wings, to lasagna, to soup and cocktails.

But the question you are reaching for is what makes a thing a thing? When is a hamburger not a pizza not a taco? It's all bread, meat, and cheese... Taco Bell's Mexican pizza is a great example. A pizza is tomato sauce on flat bread with cheese and meat/veg on top. A Taco pizza is tortillas with meat, then a tomato/chili sauce and cheese and veg on top. Pizza hut made one where they used Mexican cheese blends and basically chopped up fully formed tacos on top. Tostinos had a frozen version with just onion, tomato, and cilantro on top of their normal crust. You can make a black bean hamburger, but at that point it's a black bean salad you pick up with bread the way they do with dosa or pita.

It all kinda reminds me of the paradox of the heap; At what point when we remove grains of sand does it stop being a heap and turn into a pile or anything else?

maybe cause they wanted something else to eat instead