Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

If a student emailed you about a personal issue wanting to talk and help find them resources would you tell anyone about the convo?

University aged student

Yes, because that's not my job or what I'm trained to do. In fact, we are told that we MUST refer such students to the counseling office. If we tell them something and then something tragic happens, we could be sued. 

Yes, I would contact the counseling office to let people know that actually have training in this area and are paid to help students like you.

At least you reworded your question to make it sound less "troll like" - hopefully after years of asking this same question you while eventually move on.

not if it was personal

Umm.. maybe at least keep a record or someone trust worthy so you won't find yourself trapped in a corner. If your gut tells you something.. go with your gut