Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

How to explain to daughter her work level is normal?

My daughter is in all advanced classes and 1 college level class. She's a freshman in high school, but her middle school gave her no work. Now, she's been complaining and has full-on breakdowns over her work. I admit, getting 10 page packets done on top of projects in a week is hard, but this is pretty much the norm for high school. She's always struggled with change and the work flow is hard for her to understand. Any help?

Update:

I've tried to tell her that this is normal, but she won't listen. She's got friends out of state who apparently don't have to do any work and her friends never to their homework. 

Update 2:

She chose to be in the college level class and her grades are fine, but she worries constantly.

Update 3:

The school didn't have a no-homework movement. 8th grade was the 1st year they did a lot of work. Before, she had math, sometimes English, and weekly projects. She was warned about how much work she had to do. I've brought this concern to her teachers, and they said it's quite typical with freshmen.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Katie
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Tell her that in some jobs you have to generate a 20 page report EVERY day on top of routine tasks.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Maybe let her enjoy being a kid and let her drop the fcking class. What a waste of youth. She has the rest of her life to do college classes. Literally the rest of her life. She could do college classes until she dies if she really wants. Accept that it still takes life experience, organization, and planning skills to handle college classes, no matter how good at math your 14 year old is. Maybe she just wasn't ready. Or help her handle it and get the fck off Yahoo Answers. I'm sick of irresponsible parents.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The time to speak up was when she was in middle school m TO THE SCHOOL.

This “no homework” movement is doing a grave injustice to students, who are then blindsided when they get to college.

Perhaps your daughter should drop the college class, and NOT be in advanced classes. She can’t do advanced and college-level work if she doesn’t know how to balance the work load... you should TEACH her how to manage the work, not just tell her it is normal to be stresses.

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Take her out of that college level class. Why are you pushing it.

Then teach her time management skills and organization skills.  And study skills. How best to study to for her. 

I have two kids. How they study effectively and efficiently is different for each of them.

Sit down with her.  Help her through some of it. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

just tell her what you just told us

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

By not being a coward

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.