What does pasteurized non-homogenized goat milk/cheese mean? Is it similar to raw?

I bought some local pasteurized non-homogenized goat milk and cheese from Whole Foods in Nashville. It comes from this local goat farm about 30 minutes away. I initially wanted to buy raw goat milk/cheese but couldn’t find any near me. I’m lactose intolerant and haven’t had dairy in 4-5 years so I’m trying goat dairy out first to see if I digest it okay. 

• Clive

Pasteurised means it's not raw.  It has been heated to kill bacteria, typically to 72C for 20 seconds.  This is enough to make it safe but not enough to change the taste like boiling it would.  The big problem always used to be tuberculosis, that was a big killer, but pasteurisation kills the TB bacterium.

Homogenisation only applies to milk and means it's been processed, typically by forcing it through a screen of tiny holes, to mix the fat in thoroughly.  If you don't do that to milk, the cream separates out and floats on top.  I'm British and years ago we had milk delivered that wasn't homogenised (the homogenised milk with a red top didn't taste so good).  So you would see a line between the cream and the rest of the milk near the top of the bottle, and you needed to shake it to mix it all in together.

Goat's milk and cow's milk have the same amount of lactose.  So the milk probably won't agree with you.  But sometimes cheese-making reduces the amount of lactose so that could end up OK for you.  So I would try the cheese first and see how your body copes with that.

Oh well, if it doesn't work, join the majority of the world!  The ability to digest lactose as an adult resulted from a genetic mutation in Hungary about 10,000 years ago.  I can happily have a drink of cold milk so I'm a mutant, The mutation has spread throughout Europe in that time so enjoying dairy products has become normal there, but unfortunately you are not a mutant.  If you are of Asian descent this would not be surprising - this is why milk and cheese do not feature in Chinese/Japanese/Thai food.  Just about everybody in that part of the world is lactose-intolerant.

No. Pasteurized means heated to kill bacteria

Goat cheese is more tolerable and goats milk is more tolerable to those people that are lactose intolerant. Pasteurized just means that it's been cooked to kill the bacteria it's not going to affect whether you're less or more tolerant to it

• denise

If its pasteurised its not raw .

"Pasteurized" means it's been heat treated to kill pathogens.

"Non-homogenized" means it HASN'T been mechanically processed to prevent the fat from separating.

The first part means it's not "raw."

Pasteurized means it's been heated to kill germs. Homogenized means it's been mixed together to blend the cream with the milk. You bought milk that has been heated but not mixed. It is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption in the US, although some farmers get away with it by marketing it for animal use. But Whole Foods wouldn't be selling raw milk.