Why are a lot of people so hateful toward the musicians they dislike and/or the fans of musicians they dislike?

I don't notice this with other matters of taste nearly as much (movies, TV shows, books, etc.).

When I said musicians, I meant their music. Not their personal lives, personality, etc.

In other words, why do so many people attack a band/singer or the band's/singer's fans because they dislike the music?

Favorite Answer

I think people feel closer connected to the music they enjoy over television, movies and books.  It's often taken as an insult when someone says they don't like the same artist you like.  People feel as if they have now been judged by that other person and react defensively.   As for the musicians, I think those who aren't a fan of a particular artist just get hateful because they don't understand what others like about that music and just wish they would go away. It's seen as a double insult if you don't like the artists I like and at the same time do like an artist I despise.  It all roots from people feeling that closer connection to music over other forms of entertainment. 

• Dominique

Thanks for the answer. That kind of makes sense to me, but I would hate if everyone liked the same music as me. I guess I just don't get why some people want everyone to be just like them.

it's not matter of taste..u cannot say 50cent is better than beethoven cause its matter of taste...there's difference btween garbage and art..if u like garbage ur taste is garbage.easy

• Dominique

Thank you for the answer, although I disagree with it and you didn't answer my question... I consider a lot of music to be garbage, but that doesn't mean I personally hate the singer / band / fans.

• Dimple

i don't like any celebrity. TBH. i think they're all a bunch of fake douchebags.

But that's their business.. and, well, their art is what keeps me entertained.. not their personality.. not their personal lives.. not their reality tv shows. Not even their music videos.

For example.. i like some kanye west music. but i dislike his personality.. and i can careless what he is like with his wife and kids.

Another example.. I think leonardo di caprio makes good movies.. but can give a rats *** what he ate for dinner.

etc etc.

• Dominique

Thank you for the answer. I updated the question because I tend to explain things poorly the first time around.