Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Hello guys I have a question regarding panic attacks causing prolonged, elevated anxiety and some of its symptoms? ?

Back in April I experienced a panic attack in April and ever since then it’s been quite difficult for me with the lingering anxiety symptoms. Immediately after that day, I noticed I would have this faint feeling, shortness of breathe, chest tightness, nausea, and just a feeling of being super stressed.

These symptoms lasted about 2-3 months and it was a living hell. At first I didn’t know what was wrong with me, since I thought my ‘panic attack’ was a heart issue so I spent many visits with cardiologists figuring out if I had an enlarged heart. Results came out negative for anything heart related and one doctor wrote it off as anxiety. I didn’t believe the doctor at first because I’ve never been anxious about **** to the point of experiencing these symptoms.

After the 3 months I went through a 2.5 month bout of experiencing insomnia, where I literally could not sleep. I would go lay in bed at night and my mind would not go to sleep I would just lay there and see the sun come up, this lasted for days. Eventually this sleep slowly returned but if I stress too much can be impacted again. I’ve also started to have some mental symptoms like overreacting to certain stressors that really aren’t that serious and just overthinking **** all the time

Before this panic attack happened I never behaved or felt this way, I just want to know what the hell is going on with me. Did the panic attack cause all of this? Will heal from this? Has anyone gone through something similar and recover

Panic attacks are horrible things, I’m sorry you’re experiencing these. The most important thing I can tell you is they aren’t a huge concern- although you may feel like you’re dying when it happens it will not harm you, the worst that will happen is you faint and then wake up almost in a ‘re-booted’ state. 

Usually something triggers an initial panic attack and from there anxiety increases as you are constantly worrying about what is happening with your body and when you might get another one. When you find yourself worrying please try to remember that a panic attack isn’t something to fear as it won’t do you harm. 

I would focus on what made you have the initial panic attack as that will be the source. If you feel you are also developing generalised anxiety disorder alongside panic disorder I would see the GP and be put on a medication such as Sertraline or Amytipyline. 

It’s different to examine the situation entirely here without knowing age etc. If you have had a panic attack and the symptoms following are just to do with worrying about a potential issue then yes it is likely to go. However, if you feel you are developing GAD also then it is likely that this will be a bit of an on-going battle. Medication will help you stabilise and you can have treatments such as CBT which will help you to combat the anxiety by learning techniques; note this does not mean it will cure it, it means you will get better and better over time at tackling it.

- Mental Health nurse 

• hayley1 month agoReport

Hi again, 
      Maybe give it some time and see if it reduces. I do understand that anti-depressants used for anxiety treatment are not a cure, however they can help patients live a normal functioning life by managing symptoms. It would be worth discussing if this continues 2wks+ 

• Tavy

You are suffering from an overdose of Adrenalin, why on earth has no one given you Beta Blockers. Your body is in a permanent state of fright and flight, your system needs to calm down. Insomnia is part of it.

Talk to your normal Doctor instead of having all these expensive tests.

UK

• Kkj1 month agoReport

It is not permanent as the symptoms are getting better but I am wondering how long it takes for the body to return to homeostasis.