jok asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 2 months ago

Ninja 250?

Have heard lots of people say you’ll “outgrow” the 250 but would it really matter if I just used it for point A to B and occasionally ride around on the weekends? I don’t feel the need to push 90mph+. I don’t plan on getting another bike for another 3 or 4 years. I also have a car for other means of transportation. 

People that say that either don't ride, have large egos or just like to hear themselves talk.

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow.

• Fred

A 250 Ninja motorcycle is the most graceful and forgiving sport bike (for me) I have ever thrown a leg over!  The transmission for me is 'clunky', greatly annoying, but still functionable. 

However … I didn't find the ability to scratch my ears with my kneecaps of any advantage and the 250 has the most annoying sounding exhaust of any motorcycle made! 

True but later in life a 250 is Comfortable I am over 80 and Looking at the Yahaha 250 V twin once I sell my BMW R 65

• sydney19
      1 month agoReport

thumbs down for the Truth not my fault you cannot ride a motorcycle

• Drive what you like.  I have more than a few bikes, but the one I put the most mileage on is one of the smaller ones.  They're less work to drive, and more fun.  I can't shift more than twice on the larger bikes without reaching go-to-jail velocities, but I get to play with most of the gearbox on the smaller ones.  They don't excel for long trips, there's few luggage options, and little room to move about on them.  After a hundred miles, the seat gets hard, the legs get cramped, and I need a break to stretch.  But for most jaunts, they are hard to beat.  If and when you move up to a larger, heavier bike, you may find yourself missing that 250 someday.

• Anon
      1 month agoReport

"Ride."

• adam

If YOU like it ride it. We have a brother in our MC who has a 750 Honda that he rides when not with our club. He loves it. His bike his choice . Good for him. Same for you. Ride that lil 250 like you stole it and enjoy it

• adam
      1 month agoReport

Sonny was joking , he prefers his Indian thats what I see him riding when not on his Victory. See him  all the time in Cave Creek. 

If it is all you need it will be fine. A 250 will still go fast enough to get you in trouble. I had a BMW 750 for 15 years and knew it was good enough for what I did, and was as fast as I needed to go. Others need more, it is up to you.

• Tim D

Lots of people say it, lots of people disagree.

How are you going to make a choice between these people?

Or, just go with your original choice, ignore the advisors and get on with enjoying yourself.

It's yours. Good. If others think you need a bigger bike, they should buy you one. On the other hand, if you suddenly gain 100 pounds, that might strain the 250 a bit. Same thing if you get a 300 pound girlfriend who want to ride on the back. You sound happy with what you have. Nothing else maters.

Smaller mc's are generally less expensive to maintain, have less expensive consumables like tires and batteries, get better gas mileage, and are lighter / easier to push around. What's not to like? That song, Love One You're With, was written for motorcyclists. https://youtu.be/HH3ruuml-R4

Youtube thumbnail

• Dimo

when you grow up, you don't need ridiculous speed.  Some people never grow up.  Some kids are already.

Any 250 can do 85 mph, the Ninjette can do 100.   A lot of people are just happy on a smaller motorcycle. 

• Terri4 weeks agoReport

Anon- You don't ride. Once you're in trouble, you can't just magically pull the throttle and "power out of trouble". Except maybe at a stop light when your about to get run over....a 250 would have plenty of power for that.