Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

What’s wrong with attention seeking?

People who are depressed or suicidal NEED attention. They want help. That’s why many self harm or injure themselves. To get others to realize their pain. It pisses me off when ignorant people make fun of people who self harm or attempt suicide saying that they just want attention. They need attention to get better.

• justin

nothing is wrong with it. i agree. unless it is someone faking who has to ruin it for everyone else

No. 

No one "needs" the attention of other people.

Someone's time and attention is a valuable resource that they cannot afford to keep giving away to someone who will not seek licensed psychiatric help.  

They NEED PROFESSIONAL ATTENTION TO GET BETTER....to keep giving them tea and sympathy leads to inaction and inertia on their part and they feel no personal need to help themselves and take responsibility. 

Saying..Oh, you poor thing!" never made anyone better.

Learning and working hard on new and better coping skills and life skills will make them better.....BUT THAT TAKES WORK ON THEIR PART!  Yes, to get better they have to use their own resources instead of someone elses.

These are ignorant people and I can tell from your question that you understand what’s going on. You’re not one of the ignorant ones. You’re absolutely right. The people who accuse others of attention seeking are really not the people who have ever dealt with serious problems. They’re very superficial and unthinking people. Try not to listen to them. You sound quite intelligent. And I really hate to tell you this but even in the medical field you will find people who are calloused and will just try to brush you off. I had a doctor recently with all the neurological and other issues I’m dealing with from irresponsibly prescribed prescription drug damage who actually accused me of being a ‘hypochondriac’. I uttered a few choice expletives and walked out of the office. I just refuse to be treated that way anymore.

This is not the first kind of incident where I’ve dealt with doctors who are totally calloused and insensitive. You wouldn’t want to hear the horror stories. This kind of ignorance cuts across all facets of society, even into the professional realm. So-called professionals can be just as ignorant as anybody else. So you have to be your own authority and realize that what you believe is true. Because when it’s true you know it’s true. Regardless of what anybody else tells you. “To thine own self be true...”

I can't force anyone to get help.  If somone would rather self harm and threatened suicide instead of seeking help there is nothing I can do.

Attention seekers get very trying after a period of time.

you are right. nothing is wrong they are looking for help. the rest of the world just doesnt understand until they face the same.

nothing wrong with it, only that they should seek the right attention, ie the attention of professionals and not trolls that taunt them on the internet.

• Goerge

If you did this over at YouTube as regularly as you do here you might just do well for yourself.

So ask for help.  There are a lot easier ways of doing that than trying to kill yourself or cutting (and hiding the cuts).

someone needs to hold hands with people who are depressed or suicidal