Problem with light switch wiring?

I'm moving the light switch from one wall to another closer to the door in the Attached garage of my house. i have the box in place and im wiring everything up. theres 2 black 2 white, and 1 red and a ground wire. I currently have to 2 white capped together like it was. then i tried pig tailing the blacks and connecting them to the switch and connecting the red to the switch. nothing. with some more research i thought maybe it was a three way. so i got a 3 way switch found out that i have two hot wires and connected it has per a video and diagram that i followed. still nothing. i switched around the wires trying every combo and still have nothing. I dont have the budget to hire anyone so im stuck doing this myself. 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

well time to meter it all out. did you take pictures before you moved the switch because that is a big clue. did the light work with 2 or more switches before hand? 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

multimeter required.  "two hot leads" suggests that one of them wasn't the light circuit at all.  one would think that connecting either hot to the other colored lead [black, most likely] would turn the light on.

however, i really have no idea of what you did to "move" the light switch box.  presumably, you have wiring in it ... how, specifically, did you connect that wiring in the fixture?

the "normal" or modern method of wiring up a light is to run the incoming circuit pair [from breaker box or preceding fixture]  in the attic to the light fixture.  From there, the hot lead goes to the switch and the return from the switch to the hot lead for the fixture.  the fixture's return goes to the neutral and the grounds are all connected together.

However, older houses were frequently wired up with the incoming circuit going to the switch and the hot lead, plus the neutral, from there to the fixture.  [this was abandoned as it usually requires more wire and thus more expense.]

btw, this is a handyman job, not an electrician job.

Source(s): grampa
    • Allen Benton2 months agoReport

the fixture isnt the problem its the light switch and i literally moved the light switch from one wall to the wall next to the door going into the house. and this is and older house built in the 70s. i didnt do anything with the light fixture, i cant figure out how to post pictures or i woulkd

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.