Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Are my two cats playing or fighting?

So I have a male adult cat named Storm. And I recently got a new female kitten (named Liz) and I did a slow and steady introduction over two weeks with bedding swapping and letting them smell each other under the door and see each other through a pet gate. That all went well so today I decided to let them meet face to face. Well Liz is racing towards Storm and then running away. And then Storm will chirp and race after her and sometimes swat at her but there is no hissing, growling, or fur puffing. I’m just confused because I can’t tell if Storm’s swatting is aggressive or not. It seems like Liz is teasing him.

They are playing, the chirp is a greeting sound and the running around and swatting is play too.  If it was aggressive there would be yowling, hissing, spitting, swearing and paw-waving with the claws out.  It's unmistakeable.  Looks like yours have already decided to get on with each other.

I hope your boy has been neutered.

Sounds like they are playing and having fun with one another. Males are territorial and they will fight with a male intruder, and they can tell if the other cat is male or not by both smell and body language. 

Sounds like Liz just wants to play, but Storm doesn't want to.

What color is Storm? If he is a yellow cat, they are typically mean and aggressive toward other cats by nature (at least all the yellow cats I've ever seen and owned).

I had no answer until I read their names and did some research.

This is known and posted behavior of cats named "Storm" and "Liz."  Without the names I would have been clueless.