Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

Should underwear and towels be washed in the same load?

For years, my mother had me washing all towels separate from underwear. So all the time I've been doing laundry on my own, I've been following this 'rule'. Today, my husband and I did the laundry together (for the first time) and he was placing the towels with the underwear. I yelled at him and he started cracking up. Saying that these things should be washed together. So who is right here? Can all whites be washed together? TIA for any serious answers.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • enn
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I think your mother's reasoning was along the lines of "dirty butt, clean towel". MY mother washed all together towels and undies as it saved water here in California, and soap is clean and soap cleans everything. We also lived near the beach and soap removed beach sand from towels as well as bathing suits, so sand in the wash washed out with the soap as well as dirty undies to make everything clean. Oh, thank goodness for the invention of an automatic washing machine and dryer, and sewer pipes to wash it all away!

• Don1 month agoReport

How old is your mom mitt must be ok she's still alive

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

We are all serious.  Yes they can be washed together(except with Bright red towels that have never been washed.  You will find out why.  (Nothing is ruined but it is a color you did not expect for white.)

White is white is white. It makes no DIFFERENCE.  It all comes out in the wash.

• 1 month ago

Yes all whites can be washed together.

Your mom sounds like she suffers from germ phobia

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I wash towels separately. I always have a full load,  so it is not wasting time or money.  We buy good towels and I find washing them separately keeps them lint free and looking better.  

Washing delicate underwear in with towels can stretch them out. 

By the time I gather up all my husbands and sons shorts and undershirts I have a full load. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

They can be washed together but, I never do that.

I wash only towels together because I use a different detergent on my clothes.

Towels get Tide and my clothes always washed in woolite so they don't fade.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They can all be washed together. Don't make yourself a lot of extra work.

• 1 month ago

My wife always washed towels and underwear at the same time. Her only rule was to take her underwear out and dry is on a hanger to protect the elastic. 

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Once they get wet what's the difference? That is really OTT.

• C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That's your mom's personal rule.  They're both hot wash items exposed to the same parts of the body, it makes sense to run them together if that makes up a full load.  What terrible thing do you suppose will happen if you wash them together?

• 1 month ago

Hubby is correct. Your mother had some sort of hangup.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.