Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

What does it mean when my kitten does this?

She’ll climb onto my chest and then I’ll start petting her and then she’ll grasp my hand with her paws and bit my hand and sometimes she’ll lick it afterwards. I was thinking okay maybe that means she doesn’t want me to pet her but whenever I try to bring my hand away she reaches out both her paws and grabs my hand and tries to bring it back towards her.

Is this a sign of affection? Or is it playing?

• Maxi

You are overly stimulating her

• PR

Your kitten may be trying to play. Use a wand toy or string and engage her in active play that does not involve your hands.

In some cases, it might be the kitten remembering when she nursed from her mother. With quieter kittens, they may grasp a piece of your clothing with their mouth, or even the edge of a blanket or sheet and then "knead" with their paws. 

More playful or active kittens may rather, grab your hand and nip or nibble a little, not knowing exactly what to do. The licking simulates the way a young kitten gets the milk to flow off the nipple of the mother, just prior to nursing.

Try gently petting the kitten. Playing with the kitten with strings, wand toys, will be best. Do not scold the kitten. She is not trying to do anything naughty. 

A rescue kitten we had, who was like this was a very active kitten. I would play in a silly manner with her and if she didn't stop this, I would gently place her on the floor so she could play. In this manner, you are replacing her behavior with a different and more acceptable behavior, but not causing her to feel you are shunning her. I never yelled at her.

Always pet her and show her love, but if she is too rough, give her a different way to play, but replacing your hands with other things. Eventually, she will get it. She may even begin "pretend nursing", since you are now her "mother".

• TB12

She's playing,, I have four kittens here right now, they do that to me, they do that to each other.