Jamie asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 2 months ago

Will a lense with a stabilization switch help with getting shots with birds in flight?

This is how my images turned out with a pidgeon in flight and came out avarage on sharpness 1/1000 shutter speed & 800 ISO & using the

Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III lense

Favorite Answer

At 1/1000 sec IS won't do anything for you. I agree with qrk that there doesn't appear to be any motion blur, but I'd still consider 1/1000 to be the slowest you can use for birds in flight..  I generaly use manual focus (pre set to the sort of distance I expect to be shooting at), a fast shutter speed, the smallest aperture I can get away with and let the camera sort out the iso.  The birds are usualy far enough away that the focussing distance isn't a real problem.

• micksmixxx

Have you tried looking at the wing, Iridflare?

Answer is for entertainment purposes only. Zero liability. 

A  faster more expensive lens should make the image sharper or crisper.

• BriaR

A few tips to get sharper shots of birds in flight:

When you have a confused background as you do in this shot use centre focus point only and pan the bird keeping it centre frame.  If you are shooting against the sky then focus point selection is less critical.

When shooting moving subjects always use focus mode "AI Servo"

If you are panning with a moving subject at 1/1000 sec then Image stabilisation is best switched off.

Use spot metering

Finally...

That lens you have is not Canon's finest.  OK I am being diplomatic... It is cheap for a reason...  One problem is that it is very slow to find focus so finds it VERY difficult to maintain focus on a rapidly moving subject.  If you are serious about bird photography then you need a better lens.  The 2 lenses that I use are:

1. The Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS MkII - light and very fast focus, perfect for birds in flight.  The photo was taken today with this lens.

2. The Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Contemporary - maybe a little heavy and cumbersome for rapid deployment for birds in flight so I mostly use it from hides for waterfowl and "stationary" birds.

• Caoedhen
      1 month agoReport

I have been using the Sigma 150-600C for a while now, and have managed to use it for free-hand BIF shots fairly successfully. The most common issue is actually getting the bird in the viewfinder. I do prefer shooting off a monopod, but there are times the quick release is necessary!

• qrk

At 1/1000 shutter speed, VR won't do much and may make things worse. Your image doesn't show motion blur. It looks like the focus is off. This is a problem with BIF, getting a proper focus lock. Do a search on the Internet on BIF and the settings you should use with your particular camera body. Continuous focusing should be enabled at a minimum. What sort of focus points you should use is also another consideration. Having stuff in the background can also trip up focus when doing BIF, but this doesn't seem to be the case in this photo.

I'm not sure about Canon, but some systems have different types of VR, one for non-panning shots and one for panning types of shots. Check your manual and see if you have VR choices. VR will sometimes make shooting BIF more tedious due to VR trying to correct for a motion that is intended.