Is this gaming PC plan possible?

I'm buying a 512GB SSD for my gaming PC and I have two HDDs from my old regular PC (500GB and 320GB). These HDD are compatible with the motherboard (I used pcpartpicker.com) and I plan to use about 100GB of the SSD as (C), rest of the SSD as (D) for installing games, 500GB HDD as (E) for storing music, movies, anime, cbr/cbz comics, downloads and the 320GB HDD as (F) for storing documents, assignments and the like. Is this plan going to work? I'm not really experienced about building PCs. Will I be getting the so-called performance benefits of using SSD?

• Lv 7

not sure why you would need a separate partition for games (D). that seems like it would slow things down.

plus, even if you had to reinstall Windows, you'd still need to reinstall games. and what happens if you get to the point that 100GB (C) fills up? no, just leave the games on C.

as for the rest of the plan, i think you are on the right track. however, i'm not sure what your videos to audio ratio is, but if you plan of having a LOT of video, you may want to sequester ALL of that 500GB for video, and keep the rest on the 320GB. text files (documents) take up hardly any space at all. pictures and music files take up a bit more, but an entire album of music takes about 1/10 the size of a single movie file. just sayin'.

• Zarif2 months agoReport

I've always used a separate partition for games

Sounds good enough for now.  A guess from no clue what operating system, what games, what accessories or other programs you will buy, or any other details on this new+old drives system.

Source(s): Finishing upgrading an older i3 desktop with new GPU, new SSD, new HDD, new PSU, and upgraded OS to Win10.
  • Dick

I don't see any real benefit to creating a partition on the SSD to have a C:\ and D:\ "drive", if the D:\ is just to store and run the games. You could effictively do the same thing with a "folder" in the File Explorer. The key purpose of the SSD is that everythings handy, fast, and essentially data always remains in the same place so adding the partition means you actually have to manually access that partition via This PC or you have to have a shortcut on your desktop to simplify getting to the games. I'd simply install everything on the C:\ drive and not make it another step to go through to get to them. JMHO

• Zarif2 months agoReport

I usually DO use desktop shortcuts to run games that I install in D