Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 month ago

Was I wrong to react the way I did in this situation?

FYI I'm a woman of color, and I try to see all sides of a dispute by excluding the race factor as much as possible but this instance I lost my cool slightly. The story is I walk into a designer consignment thrift store in Brooklyn its called Beacon's Closet, it was my first time here after being reccomeded by a friend (she's white) she told me "the staff is nice, super stylish / helpful etc" I present myself as clean cut in public I wore a kate spade coat and sported a burberry tote bag. The moment I came in a hipster looking girl asked me to leave my coat bag " as there was a no large bags were allowed", NOT ASKED but told, I thought to myself, this must be to make shopping easier, looking back I think I was naive thinking this was "VIP treatment" They took it held it at the front counter and gave me a number. I proceeded to browse the store. I had two dresses I scooped up and was ready to purchase them. It wasnt until I reached the back of the store that it occured to me everyone still had their bags on them some even bigger than the one I had brought. Not only that all the women browsing were all white and were ALLOWED to shop with their bags one even had on a heavy BACKPACK. Most of them looked like a typical hipster, my clothes were a more business casual to their taste but I realized they were all white. I marched to the front of the store and immediatly told the staff off. I went to the same girl at the front who took my bag moments ago and confronted her about it. 

"I'd like my purse back" I almost slammed the clothes on the counter and said "Keep these I dont want them."before I left with my coat and bag in hand I turned to the staff and said "I saw women allowed to shop with their bags I dont understand why you took mine, I'm never coming back" Left calmly and didn't look back. Was it justified I went off or did I overreact? 

• rick

I'm a white working man. I'm a journeyman, union member, with seniority. I make good money, and I've invested wisely. I'm doing better than young lawyers, and interning MDs. I'm frequently told "Your kind isn't wanted in here" in nicer stores! I now make it a point to go shopping in my work clothes. I boycott places that don't welcome me. You were NOT wrong to react. I applaud you for doing so. Elitism is wrong. No matter what it's called at the time.

• Bobo

Don't blame the shop.  Blame the multitudes of previous customers of color who have paved the way to target other people of color.  For the same reason that Walmart locks up black hair products, these people are drawing on patterns of behavior that cause them to adjust their policy.  Objective reasoning and emotional reasoning create different outcomes--this outcome is the result of objective reasoning.

You did the right thing.