Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Can you understand what religion is at least trying to do?

I grew up in a very strict Christian family. I even went to seminary to study for the priesthood. Religious fundamentalism is causing the loss of lives at a large scale. Historically, religion has caused the loss of lives. That’s the way the world is, but people are always looking for a place to belong that’s outside of just the immediate family. They want to find ways to understand the world or to get comfort from the horrors of the world. Religion offers that to a lot of people. I can appreciate why people want to believe in an afterlife or a higher purpose. But they also want their problems solved for them. They don’t want to be hungry, poor or ill, and religion often offers a way for people to either understand that which they can’t control or a prayer that allows you to think you can control it by asking for intervention.

But what if that was real? What if somebody that represents the idea of the Christian god—the idea of that kind of messiah who heals the sick, feeds the hungry and ends conflict—what if that was real? What would that do to a society like ours? Would we be better off as people?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Doug
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Religion involves man trying to reach God or a better afterlife by doing good works. Religion cannot save you; only Jesus saves.

Because we have all sinned against a perfectly holy and righteous God, we all deserve eternal separation from God in hell (Rom. 6:23). However, God loves us so much that He sent His only Son Jesus to die on the cross as our Substitute so we don't have to go to hell. Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the grave three days later (1 Cor. 15:3-4). He gives eternal life freely to anyone who simply believes in Him for it. No one can be saved by doing good works. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (Eph. 2:8-9).

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47).

• Doug
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=StgAtwxiix0

• Login to reply the answers
  • *sigh*

*Deep breath*

*Pause*

WHICH RELIGION!?!?!?

• Mack
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Religion isn't a thing with volition of its own. It is an institution filled with different types of people with different goals.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Religion without science is blind. Science without religion is lame. Jesus didn’t tell us what to think or believe. He taught us HOW to think and believe. There is wisdom in all religions. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.