If the Senate doesn't vote to impeach does that mean a democratic president can seek foreign aid in a reelection with a blue senate?

I mean, I know it won't... I guess all I'm really asking is if precedent is a thing that actually matters or if politics will just always be a team sport.

Update:

And, yes. I know what happened with Clinton. But, those were the good old days when simply lying under oath was an impeachable offense. Foreign intervention in an election? Seems even worse.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Sam
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No because we have always held the constitution above party.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You haven't proven that Trump did that.

Which is what the Senate trial will conclude - no proof.

What's sad is that you're assuming something that Democrats have failed to prove.  Why don't you go back and read the testimony and find proof that the claims were something other than assumptions, conjecture or opinion.

I couldn't.

Proof, like a semen-stained dress.

• 1 month ago

If the senate puts party  before the constitution..........then as one of the scholars said..........if THIS isn't impeachable, then  NOTHING is impeachable,  and I will never want to hear another COMPLAINT out of republicans, about a democratic president,  breaking any law, or doing whatever they want. 

If they fail to impeach here.........they will LOSE any future shred of credibility they can ever DREAM of having again. 

They did not dispute a single charge...........they argued about Process. 

But did not argue the CHARGES against him. 

He abused his power......held up congressional approved aid......only released it, when caught........sought to seek dirt on a political opponent.....asked a foreign govt to do it.........lied about it,  OBSTRUCTED the investigation, and then intimidated witnesses   DURING their testimony. 

None of that is DISPUTED . 

If Obama or Hillary did  *ANY* of that..........they'd be out of office already. 

This is open and shut........the only question is.......will Republicans do their constitutional duty, and honor their oaths of office,   or  NOT? 

and if they don't........then they should be removed, at once. 

• Shilo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, basically, that's what it means because Trump has set the precedent. Yes, eliciting help from a foreign nation in a quid pro quo scheme is worse than lying under oath about a bj......ah, the good ole' days. Beyond all that, if the Senate excuses Trump after the House has impeached him, the people will lose faith in their government to lead them according to the laws of this nation. 

• ...Show all comments
    • rap1361
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

since he got the money before making those statements it shows how out of touch with reality you two are 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • marty
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The house is moving forward on assumptions and feelings with no actual evidence. Why doesn't that seem to bother Democrats?  They are setting an insane precedent when they toss out the assumption of innocence and impeach solely on emotions. That should concern everyone. 

• Of course not. Why would it mean that? You don't make any sense.

There was no foreign intervention in any election, jackass. Facebook has nothing to do with ballot boxes, and nor does criminal investigations in Ukraine.

But you knew that.

• 1 month ago

The Senate doesn't vote on Impeachment. The House of Representatives does.

• El Nerdo Loco
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

And what's needed for that to have any teeth? They technically convict the impeached, but on the internet, pithiness is often more valuable than pedantry.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's dysfunctional all around.  California's on friggin fire.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.