I bought a 2018 Toyota Camry with the 8-speed transmission and it's having issues, should I trade it in?

It has minor shifting issues. Mainly, if you slow it down and then even lightly tap the gas the transmission will jerk the car forward. It works fine otherwise.

It has about $4,000 of negative equity. The new Camrys don't seem to be holding onto their value due to the transmission issue.

I'm financially illiterate. So my question is, should I attempt to trade it in (I would like to get a previous gen Camry, with the 6-speed transmission, used), or should I just keep it and pay it off?

It also lags badly when you try to pass anyone on the highway, and has awkward moments where it hunts for the right gear occasionally.

The transmission is part of the "Main Drive Train" and is still under Manufacture Warranty. Take the car to your local Toyota Dealership for evaluation and repair.

Is this real? I'm not questioning a Camry could have an issue. It is rare but possible.  The fact that the OP would ask this on Yahoo answers on a fairly new car. Any person buying a new car KNOWS that their car has a warranty, and what type of warranty they have. 

You cant trade it as it is. You also cant trade it with money owing. See if it can be fixed

• Xavier2 months agoReport

There is no fix for it. The dealers all tell me it's "normal", which means corporate is just kicking the can down the road until there's a lawsuit.

I'm getting 2012-2016 Ford Focus vibes from the new Camry and all other Toyotas with the 8-speed. It's not going to be pretty.

You won't be trading it with $4000 worth of negative equity.

Welcome to the world of the 8-speed Toyota Camry.

If you had researched the car before purchasing it, you would have found the same as this reviewer put it:  "makes for a jerky and rough ride at low speeds. When accelerating from a stop sign or red light, the car feels like a rodeo bronco trying to buck its rider off. It may seem like there like there is something wrong with the car but that's how the car is.  Such a shame. This jerking and rough shifting has at times made driving a bit dangerous as you don't know how hard and when the gear will shift"

If you google, there are some discussion forums that review how to fix it.

But make sure that Toyota knows you have this problem, so that Toyota will be more likely to create a fix. 

If this is a 2018, then it is still under warranty. Take it into the dealer's service center for troubleshooting and repair!

• k w

dunno, toyotas are pretty good, but I never heard of an 8speed....ask around, see if anyone has a fix for that, my accord had a tranny issue too, so it's not that rare, maybe you can live with it, maybe not...don't overlook toyota forums to ask questions or maybe fid answers.....