Why is Ingmar Bergman famous?

To me, his films never really struck me as being incredible, in the same way Stanley Kubrick did. His films while original, never seemed to make me understand what was so astounding about them. 

Yet, when I was talking to my grandmother, who was born in 1931 in Britain, I asked her about Ingmar Bergman, and she said that Ingmar Bergman was extremely famous in the 1950’s and 60’s, that every film he made was wildly spoken about. 

I’m just wondering, what am I missing? Why is Ingmar Bergman always considered one of the greatest directors of all time? My father, who knows close to nothing about cinema could even tell me who Ingmar Bergman was.

• Mike W

He made movies.  Viewers and critics liked his movies a lot, they became iconic movies.  That made him famous.  You may not like his movies, and you may not understand why he's famous, but he's still famous.   

Why should he not be famous just because you don't like him? There are lots of famous people who did horrible things. It doesn't mean someone is good because they are famous.

I have never heard of her

• Cogito

Him.