How do you think this language in the contract should be interpreted?

At work, in our union contract, it says "internal candidates must be considered first for vacant positions."

I know many qualified internal candidates applied.....

They hired an external candidate, so I was a little surprised by this......

I thought that language meant internals get preference over external candidates.....

some people are telling me "but it says CONSIDERED, not hired."

Well yeah, but it says "Considered FIRST."

Isn't FIRST the key word here?

and that, as long as they meet the minimum qualifications for the position,

they should get preference over any external candidate (even if the external is more qualified.) --- Isn't that how this works?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No, consideration is given to internal staff first........ best qualified person gets appointed not minimum requirement internal candidate

• jamie2 months agoReport

but what's the point of writing in that in the contract?  wouldn't internal staff be considered anyway?

• Login to reply the answers
  • D50
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If they interviewed the internal candidates before the outsider, there's not much anyone could do. It sounds like they're still free to hire the best-qualified candidate (as they see it) as long as they consider the internal ones first.

• 2 months ago

That's the way it's supposed to work but in today's world you need to have absolutely specific language written into a contract or it's totally meaningless somebody will come along with exactly what they came along with and say oh it says considered it doesn't mean we have to hire them! As a union you should all come together and demand that the language be changed in the contract to be specific.

• 2 months ago

The construction that they must hire the first person who met the absolute minimum requirements is absurd

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.