Assume we divide each stage of the pipeline in half, adding five more pipeline stages. If adding the extra stages.......?

Assume we divide each stage of the pipeline in half, adding five more pipeline stages. If adding

the extra stages added a total of 0.25 cycles of stalls to every instruction (on average), how much

faster would the clock have to be to make up for the loss in performance?

The answer is 20%, I just don't know why.

Looks like you would need 4 X the clock so you keep up with each flop.

• Masonite2 months agoReport

the answer is 20% man, I asked for an explanation of why it is 20%. 4 times is wrong.

• Pete L

We need more context and I'd be worried about the junctions and if you had installed proper grade washers between each pipe. Now you say your cycle has stalled, but cycles don't stall, though they fall over if you stop pedalling them. Is the clock mounted on the handlebars and is it  a battery one or a wind up one?

• Masonite2 months agoReport

literally who upvoted this garbage? this moron doesn't know a thing about what I'm talking about, probably a bot.