Does turning a television on/off damage it?

Recently I have been in an argument with my my father as he refuses to turn off the TV when he’s finished with it. This includes when he knows he won’t be able to return to the program he’s watching for over an hour. I tried explaining to him that it’s a waste of electricity, to which he argued that turning a machine on or off can cause damage to the machine over time. I decided to turn to the internet as my dad also believes that the reason our skybox broke was because hackers hacked into it. He also threw up his hands and claimed his email had been hacked when he forgot his password: he is not a tech-savvy man. 

I don't think it does. Leaving it on as far as my grandpa did to my Samsung has caused the picture to go out in it. 

We turn out TVs off when we finish watching.  The main set goes to stand-by which we leave on 24/7.   The small TV in the office here is turned off completely.   Right now we had a 'no signal' come up this morning (for no obvious reason - calm, if frosty weather).  We rebooted the main set. but the small one in here which is linked to the main TV/digibox, refuses to  show anything other than No Signal.  FRUSTRATING!!

Hold him down till he hollers "UNCLE" and then he'll turn it off. 

It may read brutal, but that's what my friend does, and it works!

No it doesn’t, Ive had my for 7 years and still works like the day I purchased it

Easy answer; Take the TV away from him and give him a few books. I have never wore out a TV turning it off and on and I've been watching TV since 1955. I've seen old waxed capacitors go dry and short and I've seen electrolytic capacitors explode.Those failures never happen while the appliance is turned off. While it is possible to wear anything out by using it, let's see what wears out first, the man or the machine.

All electronic devices Can suffer failures from normal on/off cycling,

but Very Few Ever Do, so he really should shut it off.

The other problems are his own to address.

• khalil

yes ... if the time between both is very short ...

when you turn off the tv then turn it on, the capacitor after the bridge was not discharged completely now it will be charged with power so its voltage will be more than the normal for a short time so the chopper ic or transistor will be ruined

• Jay

Sounds like a typical run of the mill boomer

well powering on a tv will create a surge of electrical current which puts more of a load on the electronic components but depending on the tv the surge might be equal to when the tv is constantly on. Not sure arguing with your dad is a good thing when he buys the tvs and the electricity and the house he is in with his own money.

• Thing is, he didn’t, nor does he contribute much to the family income. My mom’s am accountant and, as she gets paid more, she actually was the one to buy it. She is also extremely frustrated with his behaviour.

• Rick B

No, of course it does not damage a machine to turn it off and on.