Is checking the "I agree" box on a computer screen the same as a physical signature?

If a supervisor at work gets on my computer, logs in with my user name and password scrolls to the bottom of the screen and checks a box, is that the same as if I physically signed an agreement written on paper with my signature?

They have a bad habit of doing this and they did it to me several times now because they said they were running out of time to get all employees to agree to their new policy.  My supervisor said he just doesn't have time to let everyone read the policy and answer questions about it so he just does it and prints us out a copy to read on our own time.  They want to run a dozen of us through this in a few minutes and get us back on the job as quickly as possible.  

I tried calling foul because I only had maybe 2 seconds or less to read the computer screen before my supervisor checked the box and submitted it.  I did not agree with the policy but that only served to make some people mad.

I don't see how they can claim that I agreed to the policy when I never touched the computer and I didn't sign anything.  They just blindside you and it's over before you even know what the heck just happened.

• Kieth
    Favorite Answer

Technically, you didn't sign, but your job is related to your acceptance of the policy. Whether you clicked it or not, your only choices are to either agree or quit.

How does your supervisor know your user name and password?

I would not worry too much about that because it is better than being pressured into signing something you disagree with. You never actually signed and you never agreed to it, so if any problem comes up later, you can say truthfully that you did not agree. The supervisor did it. If you signed it, you would have to abide by it, but you did not. 

Just make sure you document the incident. Write down exactly what happened and preferably get a witness to sign it also. If you really want to make it official, get it notarized. This is your best protection (short of getting an attorney) if something happens.