Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

What is my nationality?

I was born in a different country, but I moved to the US when I was a baby. I gained a US citizenship after living here for almost my entire life. Is my nationality American or is my nationality where I was born?

It's whichever passport you have now that says you're a citizen for the purpose of paperwork but it's... You know. 

• Foofa

If you still hold citizenship from the nation where you were born you'd have dual nationality. But if you're just a US citizen then that is your nationality.

Nationality is where you passport is from … so if you have an American passport, then then your nationality is American.  It doesn't matter where you were born

• Lisa A

Your nationality is likely both. But only you (or your parents) know what citizenships (nationality) you have.

We do not know.  You do NOT gain citizenship of a country by living there for a long while.  Living for a set time just gives you the right to apply for the new citizenship.  I did that after living where I am now for 13 years.  But, until you apply for, and are granted the new citizenship, you remain a citizen of the country you came from.

If you did obtain citizenship (or, your parents did it for you), your nationality is American.

What was your parents' citizenship at the time of your birth? That was your birthright citizenship, and you might not have lost it when you naturalized in the US. Your parents' country of citizenship may or may not have been in the country where you were born. And since relatively few countries allow claims to citizenship based on birth in the country, you need to look at your parents' citizenship - that you had at birth, and likely still have.

By definition your nationality is American becuase of the passport. In immagration centers worldwide, your passport is what defines your citizenship and nationalty.

Socially however, people define their nationality by where they grew up/spend their childhood, which in this cas is still in the USA.

The next factor is how you're raised and if your parents teaches you US values/culture from young or do you follow your birthplace culture best.

I would say your nationality is US, but it kindda depends.

Whatever you feel like. I was born in the US and still I would be embarrassed calling myself American, so I don't. Neither of my parents were born in the country and I identify with my ethnicity/family heritage instead. It's up to you what you tell people and what you feel fits. You could definitely say your nationality is "American" if you really want tho, especially because you have citizenship.