Should I feel stupid cause I did not take AP courses in high school? ?

I remember my ex bf that criticized me on everything and made it seem like he was smarter than me tried to throw it up in my face that I didn’t belong with him and his friends (who also took AP classes who were real smart) because I don’t take AP classes. Yet I’m in college working so hard to do good and he has no plans to go to college and failed in the military. If took AP courses than why was he not in college ? If I was stupid and he’s smart then why he date me? I know it would’ve been helpful to take AP courses but I still got to college without it. I never took high school that serious I just wanted to pass so I can go. Now I’m in college I’m taking it more serious .

Favorite Answer

You are definitely not stupid. I am not in any AP classes either, and that does not make me dumb. What is think is your boyfriend tried to make himself feel better by pushing you down and making you feel smaller than him. AP classes have a stressful curriculum, and they are not easy to take. He probably had anxiety and thought making you seem inferior would make himself feel better. I am glad you are taking college seriously now. Good luck!

Once you’re in college, literally no one cares what you did in high school. And once you’re in the working world, literally no one cares what you did in college.

• zipper

Good for you Honey! AP helps but that does not mean that you are any smarter than anyone else; just that you want to lay a frame work to advance yourself.  It sounds like you are the really smart one here, and you were dating below yourself dating him.  I did not take AP either and I finished in the top twenty percent of two colleges, were a real smart friend of mine killed himself because he did poorly in one class. It is all in the frame work of your own mine.

• drip

I agree with John, this sounds more about a bad relationship. You are in college and doing well, why go over the past? 

• John

Based on the wording of your message, I don't think your question is really about taking AP courses back in high school.  Rather, you were in a toxic relationship which you are having a hard time putting behind you. Perhaps counseling will help. You might also want to ask your question in a section of YA dealing with relationships.

Regarding the answer to your question.  One is not stupid because they didn't take AP courses in high school.  Your ex told you that simply to put you down.  

"If I was stupid and he’s smart then why he date me?" - I don't think you want the answer to that question

Why are you letting your ex-boyfriend bother you? You are in college doing your thing. Be proud of yourself, be proud of what you do and what you accomplish. If you are doing your best that is all that matters, but it sounds like your best is pretty darn good. Why let some loser you dated when you were in HS bother you?

• yvonne2 months agoReport

You’re right . You right. What’s the answer to that question though ?

No you should NOT feel embarrassed. Every student controls their own destiny.

Intelligence is measured by more than grades. His emotional intelligence, for example, sounds extremely low. And anyway, even though books smarts are important.....they're not the only thing that matters. Would rather be a decent person with an average brain than a genius jerk. And your ex certainly sounds like an AP (but not quite genius) jerk.

No don’t feel stupid. Just cause you don’t take AP classes doesn’t make you better or worse