Anonymous

Can someone with dyscalculia be a medication technician (aide)?

I see a six hour course offered to help with assisted living facilities in the assistance of medication. I am not sure I will be confident enough because I have a math disability. 

• Favorite Answer

Honesty, I doubt it. It depends on how severely it effects you. I have it, and I have a hard time with my meds. You have to be perfect all the time.

• My guess is that they essentially fill pill containers on a weekly basis for group homes and homebound patients. I get nursing care 3 times a week and was offered this service from the agency.  

Seriously, if you have a math disability, please consider another field.  No one wants you to make a mistake and the patient gets the wrong medication or wrong amount with disastrous consequences for both the patient and/or his or her family.

• Andy C

Probably not if you can't count pills...

i highly doubt it, there are many jobs that don't involve numbers or math. you may misread a room number or medication dose, etc