Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Should I report incident to My insurance or wait until the gas station owner contacts me? Drove off with gas pump attached.?

Drove off with gas pump attached and the gas pump hose came off from the top of the gas pump machine this happened yesterday. I left my contact info and insurance info with the attendant. Should I report this to my insurance or wait for the gas station owner to contact me to perhaps settle this without getting insurance involved.  

Favorite Answer

It'll probably be $75-$250.  Assuming you brought them the important part back.  It's on a quick release (because you ain't the first person to do that), and someone just needs to get out a ladder and maybe one part (depending on the type) and reattach it.  It's not something you need to report to insurance - more than likely.  I'm sure if you drive by the same gas station, it's probably already reattached.

Just asking this question, I think you don't really have any idea how much it costs to replace the pump and check it for damage.  Do you have $2,000 in the bank you're willing/able to pay?

Report it to your car insurance company.   

I put the answer of how much it is.  Quick release hoses were invented right after the first couple of people drove off and destroyed the pump.  It's the cost of a cotter pin.

Call them, offer to pay out of pocket for the repairs...

Or, you will pay multiple times that number of the next few years in increased premiums.  

It's unlikely enough money to report it to your insurance company, except potential your broken window.

Per your other question, it will be somewhere between $120-$750 for the gas station.

My insurance includes broken glass claims for $0 deductible (although that might be only the windshield).  Find out how your insurance cover glass claims and then file a claim, if it makes sense. 

You're going to have a nasty shock when you get the bill.

You MUST report it to your insurance company ASAP.

• martin

Contact your insurance agent, not the home office, but your local agent who sold you the policy. Tell him or her that the gas station might want to settle outside of an insurance claim. Give him or her the gas station guy's number.

• Casey Y

Then you get to ask random people on the internet how to answer instead of calling people like us who can answer for you specifically...