Does it bother women that most geniuses are male?(86% of geniuses, to be exact)?

Men are more likely to have high IQ's than women are. How do women feel about this well-established sex difference in intelligence?

Women's opinions: why did this trait evolve in men? 

Why are men also more likely to have low IQ's? 

What do you think/ feel about all of this? 

"...There are twice as many men with an IQ of 120-plus as there are women, there are 30 times the number of men with an IQ of 170-plus as there are women. I don't know why this is, all I can say is that we have a huge amount of data." 

- Dr Paul Irwing, senior lecturer in organisational psychology at Manchester University on his 2005 paper in the British Journal of Psychology. The study looked at 22 surveys sampling 20,000 university students. In 21 out of the 22 studies males always had an advantage.

• liz
    Favorite Answer

It doesn’t bother me in the least. Maybe they needed it to figure out the best strategy for how to avoid sabre tooth tigers. Clever men are very interesting and sexy.  But there’s more to life than being brainy.  And I don’t think a high IQ generally means a person has any emotional intelligence or plain old common sense which I also admire in all people.

• liz

Yes i’ve heard that too. Men seem to be at both ends of the scale. Perhaps it’s all about risk-taking. Men have to be either really clever or not at all. 

It's more like 99.9%

thats great! men are awesome :D

I don't know where you're getting that from but it's not true.

• - Dr Paul Irwing, senior lecturer in organisational psychology at Manchester University on his 2005 paper in the British Journal of Psychology. The study looked at 22 surveys sampling 20,000 university students. In 21 out of the 22 studies males always had an advantage.

I ain't even buyin' it.  It's already well-established that women do better in school than most men.

Personally, such trivia matters no more to me than that men are more likely to be 6 feet tall than women.

Does it bother you, Jeff, that the last holder of the Guinness world record for highest IQ is a woman? What has that to do with anything?

• No I think it's a good thing women take school more seriously than most men do. And keep in mind that men are also more likely to have low IQ'S.

Most idiots are also men.  Biden, Obama, and Bill Clinton are examples of complete male morons.

I think it would depend on the type of genius. Also there are a lot of statistics that would also suggest that women don't always get the same access to education that would allow them to discover their own genius. Besides that, there are more ways than a simple test to gauge human intelligence, and far too many types of intelligence for a simple test to properly rank them all. 

There isn't much logic in this question, unless you're attempting to get a rise out of women on the internet by inferring that we're less intelligent. 

• No, because most people with low IQ's are male too. The logic is that I genuinely want to know what women think about this, and why the trait of being smarter or dumber than women evolved in men.

I can't speak for other women, but this is not something I worry about. 

I won’t lose sleep over it. Many high IQ types are lacking in common sense. Hope they enjoy their big brains.

• Men are also more likely to have low IQ's at the same time.