Why does Hogwarts still have a house named after Salazar Slytherin?

This isn't about why does the house still exist, that's alright, but why is it still named after Slytherin? He was the one who build the Chamber of Secrets and left the basilisk at Hogwarts to KILL MUGGLEBORN STUDENTS. Sure, he helped make the school, but if Adolf Hitler built a school and it was named after him, you wouldn't be keeping the name centuries after he died. Especially if it was still in use.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I just googled it, and found no information saying he did those things. Just that “legend has it” that he did, which means anyone else could have just built it in his honor and credited it to him.

Edit: Just found, years after the books came out, they did say he built it on the pottermore website. So if that’s canon to you than yes he did. Basically saying he originally built it just as a private chamber for teaching but was going mad with power toward the end of his career. I dunno, I’d speculate that the other three elders just covered it up because having the four houses was a good balance. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • Joseph
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because that's how J.K. Rowling wants it.  She's the writer, it's her story, she can do whatever she wants with the plot.

• 2 months ago

Write to the author and ask him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.