Study Abroad as a Biochem Major?

Since I can remember, I have always been intrigued by languages throughout my life. I entered high school with French and have loved it ever since.

My major is biochemistry because I know that I want to work in medicine. I enjoy finding analyzing, observing, etc. And in my understanding, a bonus  of my major is the job security I can find and the different things I can do with it. I finished my first semester, and so far, I am loving it. 

The conflict is that I still want to continue with learning languages. It is my passion, but I do not know how I can incorporate language/study abroad with a STEM major? The programs offered by my school are mainly for business, social science majors, or art and humanities. Please help. :)

Favorite Answer

Have you spoken with the Study Abroad department? Most people I personally know that have studied abroad have been STEM majors. Schools that I have recently received information from have study abroad programs for all majors (yes, some have limitations).

So before you rule out studying abroad, make sure you know the facts about what you can or can not do through your school.

If it really isn't possible through your current school, one extreme would be transfer to another school or simply take a year or semester off and enroll at a school in another country (in that case you have to apply, get accepted and all that stuff, but it can be done). This may cause you to be a bit behind if the credits don't all line up or transfer.

But, if you really want to do it, you could find a way, but money could be an issue if it takes a semester or two longer to finish your degree.

Many study abroad programs don't care what your major is. If you go during the school year, you may be able to transfer the credits earned to your degree or you may not. But it's still worth going. There's a huge need in the medical profession for people who speak other languages.